I just had a baby a week ago, why are my feet still getting swollen?

Why? and what can I do to prevent it? is this always gonna happen now?

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 9:22 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Health

• mine were that way right on up til the 5th week after delivery/...it will go away..just be patient if you are worried ask your dr and congrats momma
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 9:24 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• you just still have a lot fo fluids in your body from birth and pregnancy. during birth they pump you full of iv fluids, and during pregnancy you retain fluids. it takes six weeks totally for real, for everything to settle and form very closely to how everythign was prior to pregnancy. dont worry you are still beautiful. actually drinking a lot of water helps it all flush out
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 9:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• It will go away. You are probably retaining fluid from Iv fluids if you had any. Congratulations on your new baby!
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 9:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• After my first delivery I didn't have much swelling, but they preemie twins and I was doing A LOT of walking back and forth to the NICU. After baby 3 was born, I was retaining water all the way up in my thighs! I had a 9 pound baby plus all all the extra stuff and I came home after 4 days weighing 6 pounds less than when I went to the hospital! I elevated my feet and had them rubbed as much as possible (up away from feet to help move fluid out), drank tons of water, and got up and walked a lot as well. I even got some of those circulation socks from the pharmacy department of Walmart! I could barely get them on my feet, but they helped move some of the fluid out as well. Then my 4th night home (8 days pp) I got up and peed 6 times! When I got up in the morning I weighed 19 pounds less than the night before!! One of these nights or days soon you will start going to the bathroom a ton and your ankles will reappear!
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 9:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Don't worry. One day you'll wake up and find that the foot fairy brought back your feet and you can wear your pre-preggy shoes again.
    nicole_Evans

Answer by nicole_Evans at 9:42 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• its prob from all the fluid you got from the ivs lay on the bed or couch and prop your feet up and it should help with the swelling to go down also call and let your doc know it could be something worse and congrats on the lil bundle of joy
    amommyslife03

Answer by amommyslife03 at 10:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• sodium might be up to high still..

cut back on salt intake and drink more water.. if this doesn't help, talk to your doctor, itcould be something more serious.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:57 AM on Sep. 15, 2010