For those that have a hard time understanding God...

Have you read the book "The Shack"? It really answers a lot of these questions in a face paced fictional story of a man trying to understand a major tragedy in his life. God reveals as a large black woman that loves to cook, so it is quite controversial in some churches. If you have read it- what did you think? If you have not- add it to your list of books to read.

soyousay

Asked by soyousay at 9:23 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I understand God, but I like the sound of the book Thanks for sharing.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Fast paced, not face paced.... my typo!
    soyousay

Comment by soyousay (original poster) at 9:24 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Both my dh and my mom really loved that book.
    Amber211

Answer by Amber211 at 9:29 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i don't have a hard time understanding, but i am looking for a good book to read :) i wonder if the library has it...know the author?
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:33 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Did you read it? What did you think about it? For me it kind of summarizes how I think of religion-I found it so interesting!
    soyousay

Comment by soyousay (original poster) at 9:34 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• It is by William P. Young. If you have bookie friends, its kind of fun to have a few people read it at the same time because there is so much to talk about with it. Some love it, some think its just wrong. Another good one is "The Life of Pi". Great to read with a friend and see what they think.
    soyousay

Comment by soyousay (original poster) at 9:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I have not heard of this but sounds very interesting and will try to get it. Thanks.
    treece

Answer by treece at 9:44 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i didn't like it. it didn't 'grip' me like the hype did, and i guess i was disappointed, and a little put off by its characterization. i found its wording to be too back&forth, hard to follow (and i'm a 'seasoned' xtian who reads a lot!), and goofy.
    i didn't like it at all.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:52 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Dull- that is so interesting to me- from your posts it seems the book would be right up your alley ;) But I know what you mean- I read it quite a while back before all the hype in my area. Other books that people said were a must read and totally hyped left me flat- maybe it is the hype and expectation.
    Characterization- was it God? I thought He revealed in that way because it was the last thing expected-like a metaphor in that you find God in things you least expect....at least that was my take.
    soyousay

Comment by soyousay (original poster) at 11:29 PM on Sep. 14, 2010