my baby is shedding, do I apply anything on his skin?

My son is peeling, I was told not to put lotion on him, is there anything else I can do to help with the shedding or will it go away on its own? and I thought only late babies were the ones who shed?

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 9:23 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was a week early and his skin peeled. I used baby lotion and he was fine in a week or so. If you don't want to use lotion, maybe a little olive oil?
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 9:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My son was born at 38.5 weeks and he had peeling skin on his hands and feet. I am pretty sure I put lotion on it - I don't remember anyone telling me not to. It does go away.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My son was a week late and he had bad peeling on his hands and feet and my pedi said to leave it alone and let it run it's course...after I was allowed to bathe him it really cleared up fast! But I don't see why lotion would be bad if it bothers you...good luck!
    andee1216

Answer by andee1216 at 9:43 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• my first son was born at 36 weeks and peeled like an iguana! i just peeled the skin off.... don't put anything on it, not oil or lotion, nothing at all. it will only make it turn all funky and it will just prolong the process (i am speaking from experience lol. please learn from my mistake!)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:57 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• You don't need to use anything. Just let him be.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 1:30 AM on Sep. 15, 2010