Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How bad can it go if I only want child support?

my ex has turned into a giant ass. we were going to file together or no contest or whatever but he's decided he pays me to much in child support and he's going to call a lawyer. I am going to call legal aid but i don't know how quick things go. But all I really want is child support. And I know he won't fight for custody, he doesn't want to see my son barely even every other weekend. Oh put I might try to get half his 401 k just bc he decided to be like this.


Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • There are set rates that the courts have set up for child support. They are based on your husband's income. Your child is entitled to a certain percentage. I would consult a lawyer, your ex may even have to pay your attorney. At least get a consultation because if you go to court without a lawyer and he has one, you may find later that you are sorry. The party who files generally has an advantage, and definitely the one with an attorney will.

    Good luck!

    Answer by ohwrite at 9:42 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

  • You should have an attorney, or contact child support enforcement in your area. Usually you can contact your social services office and they can point you in the right direction. GL

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:45 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

  • Child support is determined by how much the parents make. So your ex can't decide for himself what to pay nor can you simply demand anything. Leave it up to the attorneys who know the law.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 10:56 AM on Sep. 15, 2010