Do you monitor your Teens cell phone usage?

Asked by cdwilber at 9:28 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• No

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:30 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We have a 14 yr old son, and he doesn't have a cell phone. He won't until he's 16. It's tough making the grown up decisions, but we choose to be parents and not friends to our boys....

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I don't have teens yet, but I can't imagine I would EVER do something like that. When I had a teen, I never did anything like that, I can't see I am going to change any time soon. I see it as a HUGE invasion of privacy and breakage of trust to do that kind of thing. I plan to get my kids cell phones in the next few years - as soon as they are in school - but unless they do something to break that trust, I would never snoop...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:44 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• MrsLeftlane: I have a 14 yr old that I PARENT and he has a cell phone. I am NOT his friend either. That has nothing to do with a teenager having a cell phone.

I don't really monitor my sons usage. We have unlimited talk and text. I do check his text messages once in a while to make sure no one else is bothering him. He doesn't call anyone but family and a few friends. The cell phone was necessary due to sports and him hanging out with his friends. There are very few payphones in our city, so him using a payphone is not an option. We also don't have a landline, so him having a cell phone is a must.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:14 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• No

Answer by FeelinYummy at 7:24 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• We don't take their phones and read every message. But I do pay attention to our bill and they keep their usage in check on their own.

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:04 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• DD is only 3 but when she gets a cell phone, it will be closely monitored. I will have complete access to it. There will be no phone during dinner or other family time. The moment any of her obligations begin to suffer, I am taking that sucker away. Cell phones are not a right!

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 8:30 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I wasn't allowed a phone until Senior year of HS. Lol.

Answer by sstepph at 9:19 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• They don't have cell phones.

Answer by CometGirl at 9:52 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Both my girls (13 and 17) have cell phones,and I check the usage on the bill. If something looks too much we have a conversation. I don't think having or not having a cell phone has anything to do with being a parent or a friend.

Answer by wallmom1 at 12:38 PM on Sep. 15, 2010