Would you adopt a reality show baby?

Saw a headline at the checkout about the kids from Teen Mom who gave up their baby and how they miss her. It had me wondering - if you were trying to adopt, and you had the chance to adopt, but a condition was that the birth parents would be involved in a reality show and the adoption would be "outed" as part of the show, would that make you wait? I can see both sides - it's such a long process and if you pass one chance up it can be years before you have another. On the other hand, reality shows do rotten things to kids, even if they're not the stars, and now that tv is online, those comments by the parents (and other "characters") about the baby and the AP's are out there forever for the child to see as they get older. Not to mention all the horrible commentary that comes from tv reviewers and viewers who comment on message boards and fan sites. Would you wait for a less dramatic chance even if it meant years?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:45 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• It's easy enough to legally change a child's name. That would solve most of the problems, I would think.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I would not want to do it. We have open adoptions with both of our kids' birth moms and their families, and we are convinced that open adoptions are best (as long as it is a healthy and safe situation). I would not want to be involved in an open adoption that was going to be in full public view. We waited about four years for each child. I would pass up the chance to adopt in that situation, and wait for a more normal (less public) situation.

BisketLiss, I'm not sure I'm understanding what you are saying about changing the name. Even if you changed the child's name and used a different name on t.v., somebody would eventually recognize the child and he or she would have no privacy. I'm sure you're not suggesting changing the child's name so as to disappear from sight, because ethically adoptive parents need to live up to whatever they agreed to do (keeping contact).
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:56 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I can't afford a baby so no, but even if I could I don't like reality shows much so probably not. I only like certain ones like wife swap and stuff. I think they are carrying them to far.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:39 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• It's a crazy world that we can even ask this question...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:43 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• That's a good question. I've never thought about it. I'd probably wait for another opportunity. I think the things on that show would be a lot for a child to see one day, and a lot of it's not pleasant.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I don't know......there is a lot to think about in a situation like that.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I think the ones that did it in season 2 and are no longer in the spot light will not get outed no one even seems to remember them. And honestly I think their adopted baby is not going to suffer from the show near as bad as the others that are in the show.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 8:16 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• It would be a lot to think about, but I don't think it would stop me in the end. The publicity would be a PITA right now, but no one pays any attention to even the 'stars' of these reality shows even the next season.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:16 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My SIL and her husband are actively trying to adopt through the foster system but she said she would have no problem adopting one of those babies. It isn't the baby's fault that the mom is on the show.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 12:19 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• thay all need good and loving homes does not matter were thay come from
    LoVe4Free

Answer by LoVe4Free at 4:09 PM on Sep. 15, 2010