Does your youngest child have more than your older ones?

I have been thinking my youngest child has more than the first one did. We are able to afford more because now my DH and I both work where as we didn't when we first started out. We were determined to finish school and start our careers but baby came along. Now, I've noticed all the kids have more than he and I did, which is good. But I've noticed tot always has toys all over the house.
Can/Do you provide better for your kid(s) now than when you first started out?

Danaefm

Asked by Danaefm at 9:47 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• well, i noticed that my middle child has more than the older one or the baby. why? because he has his big brother's hand me downs plus people buy him stuff for holidays, etc. in my house the baby has the short end of the stick because she is the only girl, so she has some boy hand me down jammies and not alot of clothes (since ihave to buy them all new). but i must say her room is the cutest :D
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Nope, they all have about the same. We're not really a material family anyway.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Not at all. If anything they have less than the oldest did. Now we know that kids don't need so many THINGS to be happy, so we have paired down a lot!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We struggled a lot when we first started out, so our twins had everything they needed, but they might not have had a lot of extras...but now they do, and they have just as much as my youngest daughter. I am very careful to keep everything even between the three of them.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 9:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We buy waaaaay less for our third than we did for our first two. That's because so many things can be reused. Our first had tons of crap most of it a waste of money. After you have a few you know what to buy and what not to buy. And you also learn that all those toys that seem so cool to us parents, when we buy them for our kids, they are either not interested in it or it's a piece of junk. Our last one was a boy and I don't know if this is true for anyone else but he's not intersted in many toys. He's more about climbing up dressers, jumping off the couch, taking anything he can get his hands on apart. That sort of stuff.
    outofmymind26

Answer by outofmymind26 at 10:06 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Don't get me wrong, all of the books we got our oldest are still around and in pretty good condition. I'm talking about toys and clothes. The toys I can't get rid of, everyone always gets the kids toys but I've noticed she has more electronic stuff than the other two did. Since we thought my son was going to be the last and it was one boy and one girl, we were able to donate a lot of stuff to other kids who needed the toys more than they did. Then we had baby girl #2 and she gets mostly the more modern stuff and cuter clothes. Her older sister doesn't mind, she's 15 and loves the whole baby doll thing with baby sister. Son is on his own with the girls but one grandma tries to over compensate by giving him stuff too. I keep cleaning up, but tot has to share our room because we don't have any room for her or her stuff. It's every where! I have to wait until she's old enough so we can donate some of her stuff too.
    Danaefm

Comment by Danaefm (original poster) at 10:24 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• It's the opposite here. I worked when I had my first, now I don't. So money is tight, but our baby doesn't do without. But we don't have the pictures made monthly and the brand name stuff is hand me downs from his brother! But they are both loved equally and greatly! lol.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:40 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yeah, the more kids you have, the less you buy. For me, it was because I didn't buy all the unnecessary stuff.

keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 1:08 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Nope. Our 2 month old has almost nothing. I have to wash his clothes every few days because he doesn't have enough to last and most of his clothes no longer fit him (they are newborn size and too small). He has no toys or activity things (no swing, bouncer, etc) like my older kids had when they were babies. He is either on the floor, in his stroller, his carseat or the bassinet part of the pack n play we had with our older kids (once he outgrows that he won't have a bed).
    Right now we don't have the money for anything else but even when we do we won't be getting him a ton of stuff that we'll just give away in a few months.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:23 AM on Sep. 15, 2010