Did God set boundries for divorce and remarriage?

Many of the people I know are going through divorce. Some of them it is clearly the best thing to do because they are getting beat, abused, and cheated on. There are others who are just tired, want a change, bored. Did God set boundries for Divorce

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 9:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Religious Debate

• No....that is a modern thing,decided by mere men (lawyers) and people who think they have all the answers. Biblical days/people didn't discuss divorce
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:05 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• First of all, no matter what view one takes on the issue of divorce, it is important to remember Malachi 2:16: “I hate divorce, says the LORD God of Israel.” According to the Bible, marriage is a lifetime commitment. “So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate” (Matthew 19:6). God realizes, though, that since marriages involve two sinful human beings, divorces are going to occur. In the Old Testament, He laid down some laws in order to protect the rights of divorcees, especially women (Deuteronomy 24:1-4). Jesus pointed out that these laws were given because of the hardness of people’s hearts, not because they were God’s desire (Matthew 19:8).

.

Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 10:08 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• The controversy over whether divorce and remarriage is allowed according to the Bible revolves primarily around Jesus’ words in Matthew 5:32 and 19:9. The phrase “except for marital unfaithfulness” is the only thing in Scripture that possibly gives God’s permission for divorce and remarriage. Many interpreters understand this “exception clause” as referring to “marital unfaithfulness” during the “betrothal” period. In Jewish custom, a man and a woman were considered married even while they were still engaged or “betrothed.” According to this view, immorality during this “betrothal” period would then be the only valid reason for a divorce
    Maureen-MD

• Yes He did but only because of the hardness of the hearts. Maureen got it.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:09 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yup because he knew were humans. We are Christ like not Christ.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 10:27 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I will have to pull out my bible it has ben a while but if I remember right if you remarry after a divorce it is seen as adultry in gods eyes. If a man leaves his wife and causes her the need to remarry than he is held acountable for her adultry. I will have to look for chapter and verse but it will have to wait till morning.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 11:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Look at Mathew chapters 5 and 19. It does allow for a few exceptions, but it does state what I posted before. Woot I still got it. The divorce is not so much adultery as the remarriage. In the bible though the sin is place at the husbands feet.  Not bad for someone that studied all this over 10 yrs ago.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 8:00 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My personal opinion.

No. God did not set the boundaries on those things.. Society has/does.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:52 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Alanaplus3 got it.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:05 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• depends which god you're talking about...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:42 PM on Sep. 15, 2010