What does the bible say about porn?

Can anyone tell me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It doesn't. And it's not because it wasn't around in that day either, because there is more than enough proof that there was... But it's not mentioned. The bible does talk about sexuality in a number of areas but the majority of it is up for personal interpretation - including the porn part.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I don't know if the bible says anything explicitly about porn, though lust and want of a woman other than your wife is against the word of the lord. My partner and I have recently read 'Kiss Me Like You Mean It' by Dr. David Clarke, a christian marriage counsler and it has been incredible helpful. Its about the Song of Solomon and how it relates to the way God wants marriage to be.
    EyeofOdin

Answer by EyeofOdin at 9:57 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Porn? You know that is a recent phenomenon.....they do discuss sin and adultery,etc. in the Bible. BUT porn is so much worse and so much more perverted that I don't even think it was well known or even existed back several thousand years ago.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• The three main categories of sin are the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life (1 John 2:16). Pornography definitely causes us to lust after flesh, and it is undeniably a lust of the eyes. Pornography definitely does not qualify as one of the things we are to think about, according to Philippians 4:8. Pornography is addictive (1 Corinthians 6:12; 2 Peter 2:19), and destructive (Proverbs 6:25-28; Ezekiel 20:30; Ephesians 4:19). Lusting after other people in our minds, which is the essence of pornography, is offensive to God (Matthew 5:28). When habitual devotion to pornography characterizes a person’s life, it demonstrates the person is not saved (1 Corinthians 6:9).
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 10:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• To my knowledge, it doesn't say anything. Then again, many things in the Bible can be interpreted in many different ways. Also, there wasn't the technology that there is today, so that could have something to do with it, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• uh, Sodom and Gommorrah! Thats what He says.
    treece

Answer by treece at 10:43 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Phillipians 4:8 says: "Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious - the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse" (The Message).
    Ask yourself, is porn noble? gracious? beautiful? something to be praised? If not, then it's not something to fill your mind with.
    crazycappuccino

Answer by crazycappuccino at 10:58 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Porn not good.!
    35yoamom

Answer by 35yoamom at 12:00 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• The other Ladies got it. The Bible does not specifically come out and say "Pornography", but many of the verses can be interpreted that way. Personally I feel it is wrong...for DH and I. We do not watch due to #1 just thinking it is nasty and trashy, and #2 we do feel it is wrong. In our marriage it is cheating. Those standards are based on our Faith. Now with that said, I cannot say how anyone else should feel about it. If you are Christian, I would say pray about it, and talk to your spouse.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 12:17 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I doesn't say anything about porn in itself, and this is from the OT perspective, I don't believe in the NT. The OT gives the laws of tzniut (modesty") that state that our bodies should be covered, so porn for starters, would violate that law.
    Second, sexuality is considered a highly spiritual act when done in the proper context. Pornography can de-spiritualize proper sexual relationships in many ways: by making it purely physical, taking away any aspect of spirituality it has or by making one of the partners fantasize about another person during sex, for example.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:13 AM on Sep. 15, 2010