our little girl and I'm so scared please if anybody knows what this neurologist is testing for let rm know now im really worried

Neurologist scared us (i can tell you she done leaps and bounds in OT speech and gross motor skills,) looked at her eyes she had a millimeter of separation , worried that her mouth bridge was narrow upper lip was thin, ? looked at her thumbs? e . She ordered chromosomal testing?, Neurologist said she was looking a couple of things and wont tell me what until tests come back, after we notice mild delays but we have beautiful baby a wonderful demeanor understands a .point to all her stuff animal plays is very engaged and says about 9 words already cruises the furniture all day, has strength, we are beside ourselves they have measured he head its small but normal size . she has ear infections tubes and she speaks a few , words what is she looking for take an educated guess, . Please she is only 18 month chromosomal test were done in preschool or at three not at 18 month

youmakemydreams

Asked by youmakemydreams at 1:53 AM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Keep in mind too.... specialists are like a car salesman. You walk onto a dealership lot and they will tell you - you need a new car. My daughter has a rare vascular problem - I see a surgeon, he says cut it! I see a dermatologist they say medicate it! Etc... etc ... etc. Doctors, while with the best intention -- all see what they "know" as the solution. Plus, running those tests, billing your insurance, pays their overhead costs. Take a deep breath, take it one day at a time. Your daughter says more words at 18 months then mine did!
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 1:08 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Demand an answer from your neurologist! You have a right to know what concerns this doctor has! Maybe check out WebMd or something in the meantime. I am so sorry you are going through this!
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:56 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• im sorry i sont know the answerif there is an experienced neurologist oer person that has experienced these test and what they are for >please tell me or a pediatrician who might know please help me,
    youmakemydreams

Answer by youmakemydreams at 1:57 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/uvahealth/peds_hrnewborn/chromhub.cfm

Check into Turner's Syndrome there. I doubt the other two highly. This first you would know and the second seems unlikely considering your daughter's age.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:01 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• http://rarediseases.about.com/od/chrosomedisorders/Chromosome_Disorders.htm
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:06 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Sorry for what your going through. I remember when i had to go to the neurologist when i was 15 so it was a pediatric one, they were tryin to do all kids of test that we thought were weird and had nothing to do with my headachs, I went to 3 differant ones and they all had some new test to do and didn't agree with what we told them the other one wanted to do so maybe thats just how that dr works. but i agree with mom1stepmom1 demand answers, and try not to stress out about it too much.
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 2:06 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Problem with specialists? They'll scare you to death for NO reason sometimes. Go demand an answer first thing tomorrow. Tell the neurologist you want to know EVERY SINGLE POSSIBILITY NOW. Or you'll find a different doc.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:09 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Let me add one thing to warn you about looking for answers ont he internet.

When my son was three, we called the ped's office about some behavior issues. We talked to a different doc who didn't know us. She looked at his chart and said, "His growth isn't normal." My son was well off the charts, and always has been.

I spent the next 12 hours googling oversized children and gigantism. Scared the hell out of myself. DH went with me to the doc's the next day.

Doc took one look at my tall, hefty husband and said, "Never mind."

BIG guys run in his family.

So...just get the answers direct from the doc. Don't drive yourself crazy right now.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:12 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• The only one regarding thumb abnormalities I can find is in the second link under Chromosome 16 and is 16 p plus.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:13 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• If you really want an answer...demand one from your Dr. Having us google all of these symptoms and give you all kinds of scary possibilities is just going to up your anxiety. Above all remember that no label (diagnosis) is going to change who your DD is and who she will become.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 8:21 AM on Oct. 17, 2008