Which would be a better buy Leapster or DS? Or another hand held?

Was thinking about purchasing a hand held game system for our daughter. But want to make a good investment. Something with educational games but easy for her to play. Thanks

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 10:05 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son grew out of leapster real fast. It was good for age of two to four. By time he was five he wanted a DS. Whatever you decide to do always remember technology is always changing and evolving. It depends how fast is your child develop. She might be a fast learner might be bored with leapster and DS might suit her But DS does not have any learner like leapster. If do decide to buy a leapster don't go crazy buying the games.

janitablue

Answer by janitablue at 10:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Like don't buy a whole bunch at one time?? I was thinking like 2 or 3 to start and then one at a time afterwards.
    Danni143

Comment by Danni143 (original poster) at 10:19 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My daughter was never interested in her leapster.... we got her a ds for her birthday this month she is turning 4 and I know she will love it, she can work my iPod with ease. But I guess it is whatever you think your child would like.
    Leias_Momma

Answer by Leias_Momma at 10:23 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I am not that familiar with the DS only because my dd isn't much of a gamer. We didn't buy the Leapster because of the age limit - it seemed like it was too "young" for my dd (she was 6 at the time we started looking). We decided on the Leap Frog Didj. It is fun and also educational. She can make her own character on the website and she earns "Bitz" that she can spend on other accessories. The downside? Games are hard to find in stores. We have only found two stores that carry them (if you are in an area with a Meijer, that is one - the other was Big Lots). I think it totally depends on the personality of your child. Like I said, mine isn't much of a gamer, but she likes her Didj.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 10:50 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We are planning to get our twin girls (3 yrs 9months at christmas) Leapster 2's with one game each. They've never had a game system or anything before and I think it will take some time to sit with them and teach them how to use them. There seem to be quite a lot of games available at Walmart and Target and such.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 12:16 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I think a leapster would be the way to go until they're 5....at least. I know some kids have killer hand/eye coordination earlier, but I'd start with the lower priced systems and work my way up. Technology changes so fast with its advances that I'd hold out on spending the $$ on the DS until I KNEW they were ready for one :)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:11 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Leapster.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:41 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I would not get a DS for a child under 5 personally.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:56 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My oldest son had a ds and now my youngest son who is 4 has totally taken it over lol. He mastered it when he was 3. He especially loves mario kart and his sponge bob game. He's also in love with my ipod touch. we have downloaded several ABC games and puzzle games for him on it. Young kids can master these things with ease. I would personally get the ds. I think it would get much more use since they have games for the young ones, and more older games. Even ones you can play! lol
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 5:55 PM on Sep. 15, 2010