12-13 friends

So my daughter had this friend same age as her and they (were) the bestest buddies for a long time they even went to preschool together. This girl is really beautiful,but then so is my daughter,but the problem is everytime my daughter gets a new friend this girl gets her nose out of joint and starts treating my daughter like crap. Also this girl would never do anything my daughter wanted to do and sometimes I had to tell the girl that she needs to be fair. These two spent tons of time over the summer together at a waterpark and me taking the girls to movies,the mall,and everything else. Now that jr.high has started this girl has a new friend and goes out of her way to ignore my daughter and is spreading rumors that aren't true. My daughter has asked numerous times if she would like to do something the answer from her friend is" I dont feel like it and that she has plans. How do I help my daughter cope,she is really angry?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would just let her know that is life. Middle School and High School are 2 times when friendships change, go away, or get stronger. And then again when you go to college, get married, have a kid, etc. Some friends aren't forever, if the girl is spreading rumors maybe she could arrange a mediation at school where they work that out, not be friends, but stop the catty behavior.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:26 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• oh I like that idea,I will try that tomorrow see if the couselors can help.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 10:28 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• not sure why I posted anon.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 10:29 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i sudjest talking to the parents. i know it sounds lame, but it might help out. they might be able to get the answers that she can't.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 10:30 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• well you just have to explain to her that now she's a young lady, meaning that she's starting to grow up. part of growing up is making good decisions and responsible choices. if someone treats you like crap they are not really your friend. it's a painful lesson, but that's what happens. friendships may die, but you can make new friends. it's sad since they were friends for so long, but it's a good lesson to learn and she can use it in the future for boyfriend/girlfriend type relationships too. she can learn that someone who doesn't treat her with respect doesn't need to be a part of her life. gl... i know it's hard for her, and it's hard for you seeing your daughter upset
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I think your daughter's friend has let " Middle School" go to her Head! I know this has been a Hard Hit for your daughter & her Feelings are really Hurt- (yours too!) But, i think most girls go through this with their Best Friends at this age; then they have to go through it again at 15 or 16 when their Little Hearts get Broke by the Little Jerk that they thought would Love them Forever! and as Mommy's i think our Little Hearts are just as Broke if not more as they go through it- But, it is part of growing- up in this Crazy Life- I think your daughter should try & just leave her alone for awhile- Tell her to invite some of her other friends to come over to spend the night or Skating, Mall, Movies, ect........ Maybe, shee could even ask someone in one of her classes that doesn't seem to have many friends yet in Middle School- She might just find a New Best Friend! Wishing you both Lots of Luck!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 12:21 AM on Sep. 15, 2010