• In the Spotlight:

How do I deal with my 7 year old and a bully

My 7 yo old still sucks his thumb. He is attending a new day program for the summer. There are alot older children who are making fun of him for sucking his thumb. There are now calling him a looser. How do I tell an emotionally immauture child how to deal with this????????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is there something else that we can give him to full fill his need to suck his thumb? My son went through this with his pacifier...we gave him gum and chewy bears instead. If this is an emotional need or comfort..try to enlist his help in finding something else that is more socially acceptable. If you have been around cafe mom long enough ....you will see that bullies are here to stay...some never grow up. We just need to ignore them and when they don't get the attention that they seek, they will go away. Try and explain that to him. At this age he is soo tender. A Cosby show once covered this issue...and Bill in Typical Cosby style told Rudy that the bully was only picking on her for ------ because that is all he had on her. She was cute and funny and he just needed to find something to pick on her about. Because he was jealous. Hope that a chat with him will help. good luck.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 3:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• he might have to stop sucking on his thumb. cause the older he gets the more of a target he will become.

an old friend of mine was a thumb sucker and when kids made fun of her she would beat them up. she was the bully. i hope this doesn't have to happen to your son.

GOOD LUCK!
    dannersmell

Answer by dannersmell at 4:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I would talk to the teacher and make her aware of the bullying. Also, as the others have suggested, do whatever it takes to get him to stop sucking his thumb because it will only get worse as he gets older, not that I'm justifying bullying.I was teased when I was in school from grade school til I graduated so I know how it feels to be on the receiving end. Something else that might help is to sign your son up for karate classes so he can learn how to defend himself if he needs to and gain self-confidence. That sounds like the major problem there!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Jul. 2, 2008