When is it too soon to fly with a baby?

I have a 4 month old and really really want to fly home to introduce him to the family...I live very far away (Hawaii--going to Kentucky) and have a 2 year old that no one has even met...just my parents! so I am biting the bullet and flying home at the end of this month...my pedi said it is okay but said he would prefer to wait until after 6 months...but this is the only good time to do it because my husband can travel with me to help with the kids...just curious what people thought...

andee1216

Asked by andee1216 at 10:27 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my mom took my 1st baby girls on the plane when she was 2 months old.
    sguy1983

Answer by sguy1983 at 10:28 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I was always told that the baby must be at least 3 months old. After that its generally ok, although the other passengers might not be too happy, haha!
    I'm from Kentucky, what part are you going to?
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 10:28 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My husband's aunt took a 3 WEEK old on a plane to fly to Mexico for a vacation.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:30 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I flew with my son with the pediatrician's blessing when he was 8 weeks old.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:30 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My ob said 2 months. I will have to fly to Seattle from MN with a 2 month old and a 2 year old. Please let me know how your flight goes! I'm so nervous and wish i was one of those people who didn't care about the sanity of the other people sitting close by me.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 10:31 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• an-apple-a-day---I am from Louisville...my kids are pretty quiet--mellow kids so I am hoping they are like that on the plane...plus when you leave from Hawaii you fly at night so I hope they sleep as well!!

sunshine58103--I will let you know...but I have had advice given to me about the 2 year old...have lots of activities...coloring books, sticker books (where they can peel the sticker and move it around alot--reuse them) DVD player with favorite movies!!! the baby will be easy I think...I can just nurse him whenever he is fussy...plus he likes to be held!

The flight is from here straight to Chicago...8 hours on one plane!! that is the scary part...long time for a 2 year old...but like i said it is at night....but the time difference is going to kill us...6 hours difference!!! Oh well...I need this trip!!! after reading the replies so far I don't feel as bad...he is a Healthy 4 month old--14 lbs 7 oz!!! already!
    andee1216

Comment by andee1216 (original poster) at 10:42 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I live in Louisville too! Southern Louisville actually, right around the corner from church hill downs :)
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 10:44 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• very cool...my family is on the otherside...Shepherdsville....did you watch that show..."southern belles"??? i watched it just because of being homesick...pretty funny show!
    andee1216

Comment by andee1216 (original poster) at 10:47 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Never heard of it actually. I used to live in Shepherdsville, in Old Harbor apartments. My grandma still lives there :)
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 11:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We flew from SC to CA when my daughter was 5 months, so I would think 4 months is fine. I personally wouldn't fly before the first round of shots.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:12 AM on Sep. 15, 2010