How does McCain's health care plan work?

I am so confused on this issue...I was going to vote for McCain simply based on what others around me were saying. Then I decided I'd better get my butt in gear and start watching some of these debates and make up my OWN mind onwho to vote for. As I have been watching, I can see why so many people are saying they will be voting for Obama. I'm still not sure how I will be voting yet, but I am so confused about McCain's health care plan.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• continued...Can anyone explain how this $5000 tax credit will help me? Is it going to be a guaranteed tax back kind of thing on top of our normal tax return or is it just a simple tax credit, like childcare tax credits? I'm seriously leaning towards Obama's health care plan, simply because I am uninsured, and have pre-existing conditions and no one will insure me. McCain's tax credit will do nothing for me, as far as I can see. If it will, can someone please explain it, or give a link to find out more info on it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I believe that with McCain's you will have $5000 added to your income tax. So you could be taxed extra on income. If you have to pay or owe taxes, then you would have $5000 credit. So you owe $8,000 you would have to pay $3000.

Correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure this is it
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:28 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• OK, cafemom only let's me write 1000 characters. So, PLEASE read this site:

http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/10/news/economy/tully_healthcare.fortune/

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:13 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I meant to say, this was from March.. He has added some extra's about pre-exsiting conditions (helping out) after the RNC. If I can find the link, I will send it..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:21 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• http://decision.healthcare.com/obama-mccain/
    http://thehill.com/op-eds/mccains-plan-better-than-obamas-2008-09-23.html
    I have the mccain healtcare tivod.. If I can find it on youtube, I will send the link. Basically, there would be a subsidized system under the GAP program of his healthcare that would offset and I think he mentioned tax credit to healtcare companies who opened their doors to pre exsisting condition patients. This in return would open the door for competition among insureance companies to offer competitively priced healtcare for pre-exsisting cond.So, while McCain wants a govt hands of approach for over half of American's he also wants to work with Democrats to develop a competitive market for Ins Co to want to provide healtcare for everyone. Hope this helps.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:40 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• From what I have been reading, they say it wouldn't really change for many. Also where they get the zero balance in the end is cut from medicare. I have no idea how these elderly are paying for their meds right now! Ummm all of the unspoken words are the things we need to really analyze.
    VintageOfYore

Answer by VintageOfYore at 7:46 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Well, when I visit my grandmother in her nursing home, I talked to the care attendant there. She say, while healthcare costs (Rx) are High, she also sees a lot of elderly "using" the medicare system to their favor. So I think the whole system could use a overhaul... Personally, I don't think either candidate has a WONDERFUL idea. But I do prefer the idea of having a choice, and the ideals behind a competitive market bringing the cost down.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:00 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Also, some states have very affordable plans. My husband and I (in the future) would save $$ on McCain's plan, if implemented... That savings could be used to save for the "rainy" day fund where we can pay into our own long term care plan to protect for the future. McCain's plan puts the faith back into the American people to do what is RIGHT for their own future and stop relying on the govt for the solution. Universal healtcare is NOT the answer, IMO.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:05 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I don't think either plan is that great. However, I don't like the idea of government having more control. I wouldn't be able to choose who to vote for based on the health care issue. Perhaps if you look into some of the other issues that interest you it might help. Good luck.
    bizlady

Answer by bizlady at 8:12 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• One thing I was wondering is how much it would cost to buy into the insurance Obama spoke of. I haven't seen that figure (maybe I missed it). I'm wondering if people would be able to afford to buy in. If anyone knows how much it is going to cost, please post. Thanks.
    bizlady

Answer by bizlady at 8:19 AM on Oct. 17, 2008