is it ok for my 9 week old to sleep in the dark with no night light?

do you think she will wake up and get scared? do you think she will get used to it after a couple nights? do your kids use a night light?

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 10:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's definitely fine. In fact, it's great to avoid a nightlight at this point. If she is familiar and comfortable in the dark from early on, it will help in later months when she starts to develop fears.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 10:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I have never used a nightlight with my children, and they turned out just fine.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 10:35 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• She is 9wks old. She doesn';t know to be scared or not to be scared.

All she knows is wetness - and really with today's diapers, she doesn't even know that - and hunger.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 10:35 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• my oldest son liked to sleep in the dark when he was a baby. the middle kid was scared. so now they all have night lights because the oldest one thinks they're cool and wanted tohave one like little brother lol. my point is it depends on the baby.they're not all scared of the dark (and i have the blackout shades so it's pitch black)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:35 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• it won't hurt her to be in the dark. but my ds sleeps in my room (he's 5.5months) and i prefer to have a nightlight on so if i wake up i can see him and if i need to change his diaper or something i don't have to worry about a change in light making him more awake then he needs to be. my dd, who is 5, is scared of the dark and uses a nightlight.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 10:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We never used night lights until she decided she wanted one at age 2 1/2.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 10:45 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• She could really care less. I had a night light only to help ME find my way around! Also, I used a soft light for night-time changes and feedings so I had enough light to do the job, but not so much as to wake them fully.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 10:53 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My son has never had a night light.... I don't think babies have that kind of fear.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:03 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I don't think you need to worry about it at 9 weeks. Remember, inside of you was dark!

My daughter is 19 months and has never had a night light. I figure why bother unless she decides she wants one. She actually likes the dark - when I put her in bed she points to her light and says "dark, dark" very happily, then gets busy playing with her stuffed animals before falling asleep.
    kimberlyann_214

Answer by kimberlyann_214 at 6:55 AM on Sep. 15, 2010