• In the Spotlight:

potty training~!!

Just curious on every1's thoughts on potty training! What age to start trying?? I know it depends on the child & when they are ready.. but how will i know?
at my 18 month old daughters last dr visit the Dr informed me (rather forwardly) she should already (at 18 months) be potty training .. if not already trained!!
Just seems kinda early. I know all babies have 2 grow up, but sometimes it feels shez growing waaay 2 fast & sometimes it seems im making her grow 2 fast by going with whats the "norm/right age" 2 do things (ex: taking away the bottle & binkie)
I wanna do whats best for her.. but dont wanna push her & make her uncomffy cuz everything shez used 2 all of a sudden changes!! Any advice would be great! Thanx!

bonitabaybay

Asked by bonitabaybay at 2:32 AM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is 15months and we started last month. So far, no stress. I have read that before 2 years old it does take some extra time. Progress is baby steps. However, she is doing a really good job. She doesn't really understand the "if you do this you get this" thing yet. So she gets a cracker for sitting on the potty (which keeps her sitting in one place long enough to go to the bathroom) and a treat (chocolate chip, small cookie, etc) right after. She uses a little Elmo potty. After she gets her treat we take the potty to the big potty to dump it. On our way there we sing "Simone went poo/pee in the potty. Simone went poo/pee in the potty. Yeah Simone!!!" Then we say bye bye to whatever is going down the toilet. Its a pretty fun event around our house.

If she seems stressed or uneasy, back off. No big deal. I bet if you are excited, she will be excited too. Good luck
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 3:07 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I myself decided to get a potty chair for my toddler at 18 months and just let her play with it. When she was no longer interest in it then I explained to her what it was for and how to use it. I then took her shopping for big girl panties and let her pick out the themes and characters she liked best she was very proud. When i went potty she went with me and i would have her sit down with me and when i was done she was done even if she didn't go.

I think the trick is she is now 2 1/2 and for the most part will use the potty ONLY if she has her panties on - we are now trying to ween off the pull up pants (diaper kinds) and when she has accidents, I do not get mad, but I to tell her oh no.... your all wet, icky! I have found the potty issue was totally calm and better overall sanity wise with my second verses with my first I so desperately tried to train her instead of just going with the flow.
    Mooska

Answer by Mooska at 6:09 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I think that you should have your child off the bottle and binkee at 12 months. It drives me nuts seeing a 3 year old still having a binkee or even a bottle.
    kaylie_08

Answer by kaylie_08 at 11:19 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• If you go to Askabout.com you can take a potty training readiness quiz for your daughter.
    Some things to look for: she's staying dry longer, she's curious about the potty, and is telling you that she needs to be changed.
    There's no harm in getting her a potty and casually trying to train her but until she's showing you she's really ready you're not going to meet with much success.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:00 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I didn't try potty training my son until he was 26 months (well, I tried earlier than that, but he wasn't ready). When we started, I took all his diapers away except at nap and night time and he was completley potty trained within two weeks. I wouldn't worry about it too much right now...I say do whatever you want. Once you start it is ALOT of work! But I definiltley agree with you, that it probably isn't a good idea to change everything at once. Pick the one that you want to change the most and work on it, then go down the line.
    mrsjoeljr

Answer by mrsjoeljr at 3:32 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• we are training now. he is 27m we have been doing it for 2m and he almost has it down except the night time thing he wears a pull up at night.

My daughter is 9m i am going to start her soon after our sons 3rd b-day then se will be arond 17m i have heard it i easier to train girls so....
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 3:36 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I started right after my son's 2nd bday, and with the help of that book "it's potty time", and you let them push the flush button in the book, along with his own potty chair, had it done in about a week... I've heard that making too big a deal of it will backfire - accidents will happen, just say "that's no fun to be wet and yucky", or "great job going all by yourself". Sometimes the "potty parties" lead to a sense of failure and guilt if the child messes up b/c the expectation is so high. Picking out fun "big boy" pants at the store worked wonders - he was so excited to wear the thomas and spiderman underwear that he didn't like wearing diapers, which made my job easier! Just don't stress out too hard about it - all kids are unique, and they all get it at some point - too much pressure on either of you is not good!
    alyrex

Answer by alyrex at 4:22 PM on Oct. 17, 2008