What baby book worked for you as far as teaching your baby to sleep?

I'm currently reading the Baby Whisper and plan to read The Baby Book next. What book did you read and helped you? I am trying to get my baby to sleep in his own crib during the day as well as night. He will only stay asleep either in my moby or by me holding him. He weill fall asleep in the car too. He doesn't like his bouncer nor his swing. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

hilda531

Asked by hilda531 at 10:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I like the no cry sleep solution, but Im using it with my son who is 1 1/2 and has troubles sleeping through the night, it works really well, there is a whole section for young babies, if its as good as the advice for the older ones, it would probably help.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 10:35 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• On Becoming Baby Wise. I didn't read the whole thing entirely, because honestly I was already doing everything it said, and I tell you, it works like a charm! Love it.
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 10:38 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• If you're PRO-CRY IT OUT, I recommend, Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child by Dr. Marc Weisbluth
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 10:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Those "sleep training methods" are cruel with the exception of the no cry sleep solution. The baby whisperer is a terrible method. Babywise is responsible for a lot of failure to thrive. Why do you want to ruin a good thing? If he is sleeping in his crib and that is working right now enjoy it while it lasts because baby sleep patterns change a lot in the first year and you will likely find yourself getting up in the middle of the night for growth spurt feedings, teething, new milestone wakefulness, and illness. There is no need to make him sleep alone during the day if he's happily sleeping in a sling with you while you go about your daily chores and life. If you try to change the amount of time he spends in close contact with you, you may create a situation where he won't want to sleep alone at night because he hasn't got what he needs during the day. It ain't broke...don't fix it!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:00 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My baby falls asleep in a sling during the day often even while I vacuum. Babies all over the world do this! Women in traditional societies do this! She's happy, I get a chore done, and I don't have to go to another room or rely on a monitor to check on her. She chooses when to sleep, I don't need to train her to go against her instincts. The bonus is also that I can take her anywhere any time and she'll sleep if tired no matter where we are. no need for elaborate rituals, rigid time schedules or substitutes for cuddling like swaddles and contraptions. I am not housebound for naptime either. It also reminds me to slow down and to enjoy the moments of cuddling her to sleep, because she won't want or need me forever. I never want to regret throwing away these precious moments so thoughtlessly, just because the society I live in thinks holding babies to sleep will ruin them. IF someone told you that, ignore them
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:09 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I dont have a problem with him being with me now, but I don't want to create a bigger problem for when I return to work. I would love to be a sahm, but I have to work full time. That's why I wanted to slowly start getting him to be able to stay asleep without me holding him during the day. I do not want to let him cry at all! I tried that with my older son and it didn't work.
    hilda531

Comment by hilda531 (original poster) at 11:12 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• You can practice putting him down in DEEP sleep (heavy head, limp limbs, steady breaths) wherever you happen to be. It's a gentle way to ease into it.

You may find that babies are smart. He may adapt for others, but will insist on slinging with you. It's not unlike babies who will refuse milk from a caregiver and wait for their mothers (its called reverse cycling). The proximity to you when you are together will help promote adapting to when you are gone. Any caregiver should be aware of transition periods with babies. I had to go to work part time 1 week after my baby was born (my husband had to take over). She wasn't pleased (no baby would be) but coped. she DID nap while i was gone--it didn't require training. sometimes easily and sometimes not -- but that's just how babies are kwim? of course she was clingy when i returned, but that's okay and as it should be.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:42 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• thank you amileegirl!
    bamsmom2001

Answer by bamsmom2001 at 1:34 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I read the no cry nap solution (dd issues were only with naps, once past the newborn stage), but it had great advice on preventing bad habits in newborns. It also helped me integrate her naps with her overnight sleep. I would recommend that or the no cry sleep solution.

I think anything advocating CIO is cruel, imo.
    kimberlyann_214

Answer by kimberlyann_214 at 6:50 AM on Sep. 15, 2010