anyone know any free websites research family ancestry?

I am trying to put a family history book together for my children. I have found alot of info by goggling my grandma's fathers name., and she has ans will help me with my grandfathers side. My father in laws wife has researched his history and will share that with me. My problem comes with my husbands mothers side. She hates me and will not talk to me so I have to be quiet about my search or she will take everything the family has so I can't do this. which is why I want to try to use the internet. I am planning on emailing my husbands great aunts and talking with his grandparents also...i would love any info or search help anyone can offer....thanks!

OBImomma

Asked by OBImomma at 10:37 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• there is always rootsweb, which sometimes isn't reliable but you can build on what little you can find of truth. there is findagrave which often lists information about a person's life. There is My Heritage which allows you to connect with others who may share ancestors. ancestry.com offers a free trial that you can cancel before membership fees start and it is a good way to collect records & sources. thepeerage may have some ancestors. i found a lot of mine there.
    Ciela372

Answer by Ciela372 at 11:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I like Ancestry.com. After I find the info I can put it directly in the system. I've also found some useful info searching for people there.Findagrave doesn't always have who you're looking for. I have also found people just on google. I just type in their names and see who pops up. I found my half-brother that way and I wasn't sure what his name was.
    moonspell1

Answer by moonspell1 at 1:21 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/
    violetz

Answer by violetz at 3:54 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I like ancestry.com too because they have a lot of features for free. Start by loading in what you know into a family tree. Then you can look on their message boards for more info. The website will also do searches for you and let you know what it finds. Some of the material is not free to see.... I just take a note of it and then look it all up when I get one of those 14 day free trials. You could even buy a membership for one month and just do ALOT of research in the month without renewing. Good luck!
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 1:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Use the free sites until you hit a brick wall. Then go to the library. At my public library I can use the premium features of Ancestry.com for free. Also check with the historical societies in the counties your ancestors were born or living. Sometimes they have tons of information. Just let it be known that genealogy should come with a warning regarding addictive tendencies... a simple family tree for a cub scout project turned into a 10 year adventure! :)
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 7:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• they are never free.... at some point they ask if you want to know more heres our bill.....
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 8:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My family is using ancestry.com/co.uk . My mom was lucky to find that her hometown overseas had a website and she was able to find long lost family and friends as well with the use of facebook. She and the family have all added what they have to ancestry.com/co.uk . My Grandmother had researched most of it. Good luck.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 2:31 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Yes, ancestry.com is the one I first thought of as well.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:32 PM on Oct. 4, 2010