How long do you think it will take before today's major religions are viewed as "ancient religions"?

My husband brought this up. Do you think that the major religions today will stand the test of time? Or will they one day, far in the future, be seen as the ancient religions that no one follows anymore?

I know, I'm on a roll with the religion questions tonight. My son's asleep, my husband is watching UFC, and I'm bored. :) If I'm getting annoying, tell me, lol.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 10:40 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Religious Debate

• aren't they already ancient religions? they were around in ancient times right?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Not really, princessbeth. There were humans around for millions of years before some of these religions came about. I'm referring to the ones that are now pretty much extinct.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 10:46 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• the cultures of antiquity were the greeks, romans, hebrews and egyptians. so christianity, judaism, etc.were around then. i guess you mean things like ancestor-worship and things like that?

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• As long as it took for the ancient religions now to become ancient.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Not soon enough...
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:29 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• human race have only been around 65,000 yrs. Civilization about 5000 yrs. And I agree, the Bible will be sitting on a bookshelf next to the Odyssey and Homer one day. The Bible god, Zeus and Odin and Ra will be sitting together in the Old Gods Nursing home someday. It way take awhile. Because today we have a greater understanding of how things work and aren't as quick to jump to the conclusion that something we don't understand must be magic or the work of gods to explain it off.

As each generation takes over the reigns of control of society and space travel and technology because more common place, and rationality and education become greater, the need for religion as we currently know it will fade.

Of course that also means a new one more fitting with the times may emerge, as fallible humans will still feel the need a reason for existence, fear death, or feel there must be more than our mortal existence.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 4:27 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I agree with Zoey... In the past one religion would take over another and the old religion was then considered mythology. Because of the advances I science and technology, I don't think this will happen this time. I think that the religions of today will fade away sooner or later into myth and nothing will replace it but Humanism.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:06 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I have wondered the same thing myself.

Hinduism is oldest living religion in the world. It can be traced back 6,000 years & is still going strong. Hinduism has never been "taken over" either. Scientists are FINALLY realizing that civilizations in India were one of the fist, they were around even before civilizations in Africa or the middle east. If so much of Inda werent holy grounds & they could excavate land there, I bethca science would be shoked at what they found. Even before Hinduism became a religion 6,000 years ago, there was the basic vedic philosphy BEFORE that. Hinduism was born out of that Vedic philosphy. Not many people realize how awesome the Hindu religion is. It's the oldest in the world & has not changed at all. Still the same belief over so many years. They must have done something right.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:18 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• "Civilization about 5000 yrs"

Do some googling, Civilization has been around much longer that 5000 years.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:19 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• The Bible god, Zeus and Odin and Ra will be sitting together in the Old Gods Nursing home someday.

HAHA, can't say that about Hinduism. Hinduism was an actual religion during the times of Odin & Ra & is the 3rd largest religion in the world today.

. Still drinking coffee....ignor my typos!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:21 AM on Sep. 15, 2010