Should I take my 3 weeks old with us to playgroups?

Before I had my second baby my son and I (he is two) would go to a lot of different meet ups with my Mom's group I belong too. Some are in private homes, some are in public. I am new to the having a second child thing so I am not sure if it's ok to continue these outings with her being so young. What does everyone else do? I am afraid she will get sick but at the same time want to have some fun and get out. We are cooped up in the house all day now especially since I am so tired staying up at night and during the day with her. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think I started taking my son to them with me when he was like a month and a half, the only concern that I would have would be colds going around, but maybe if you have a sling, or could get one, that would be a good way to keep him close to you, away from other germs, and the loving hands of all the other children.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 10:50 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Well, She is too young to leave home alone, and I think it is ridiculous to get a sitter for her, so HELL YES!!! Take her with you. It is not like these other Mom's didn't know you were preggo.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 10:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• up to you. I don't remember how young I started my play groups etc again, but I would also wear my baby so he was always very close to me when we went out.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 10:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I like the idea of a sling to keep baby close. Another thought might be to occasionally, not all the time, but occasionally, ask another mom to take the 2 yr old on their own for a play date with their child. Just a way to give you a break to where maybe you can take a nice nap along with the new baby.
    JuJuBug100207

Answer by JuJuBug100207 at 10:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I started going to playgroup once a week when my daughter was 6 weeks old. She's my first so I was really going more for me than her. As she gets older, then obviously she will play with the kids her age, but for now, it's mostly for me.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:11 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• All the moms in our group come within the first 2 weeks... Many as soon as they are home from the hospital! We all can't wait to see the new baby! I started going when DS2 was about 3 weeks, we'd just joined the group. Sling is definitely required. Just pop baby in, latch her on and run off to the playground!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:18 AM on Sep. 15, 2010