I think I have a food addiction, help, support?!

Seriously, Ive have tried almost everything under the sun to lose weight, exercise, dieting, suppliments, etc! NOTHING. I can't! I used to be 130, got pregnant, ballooned up to 200 got down to 155 and then got preg again up to 200 and now I am staying between 185-190. I just can't stop, and I NEVER feel full. All the drs Ive ever seen blow me off (ive seen a lot b/c we keep moving, thanks army!) ive had my thyroid tested it's "normal" so what the eff!! I REALLY NEED HELP!!!

anikahaynes1

Asked by anikahaynes1 at 10:58 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Health

• Hun, if you don't mind my saying so, I think it would be incredibly beneficial to find someone who WILL listen to just YOUR thoughts/feelings. Marriage counseling is great, but it's a shame that someone would jump to the conclusion that your marriage is the only thing that stresses you out. Moving a lot and not having a core support group (other than your husband, of course) is incredibly incredibly hard! That's a lot to handle. I think if you're able to get some counseling for JUST you, you can find ways to make yourself feel better without food. And I think the instant you start unloading some of that stress and food dependency, you'll feel better about getting up/moving and on the treadmill (or for walks outside, even better!) too. If there is any way to get active outside the home by volunteering, picking up a new hobby, etc - that can make a huge difference too. You need to be YOU too, not just your husband's wife. :)
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 11:21 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• try a food journal.... that will really help. and drink water..... that will make you full instead of food
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I'm actually feeling the same way, I feel like I just keep getting bigger and bigger. I have learned that I am an emotional eater and that I'm depressed and all I want to do is eat. It sucks!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• do you have a lot of stress? try yoga, the relaxation alone may help to ease some stress, if you have it, and that paired with a morning walk 45min or more and a good diet might do the trick. Good Luck
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Do you think you are an emotional eater? Some people turn to drugs, some to alcohol, exercise, sex...and some to food! If this is the case maybe counseling will help.
    babywhatnow

Answer by babywhatnow at 11:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Chances are good that your body has gotten so used to being overfed, it doesn't know how to feel "full" anymore. I have been there!! My best suggestion is to try retraining your body. Before you eat ANY snack or meal, drink a full glass of water. Then pay close attention to your portions, and make sure to fill your plate with lots of colorful fruits and veggies. I've found that using smaller, "dessert" plates helps with portion control. Once you've finished your meal, drink another full glass of water. Then distract yourself - no matter how badly you think you want more food, if you can distract yourself with a walk, a book, a phone conversation, etc for at least 20 minutes, I guarantee you'll realize you feel pretty full. GL! It is not easy to retrain yourself, but it can be done and hopefully as a result you will find it much easier to shed the weight. :)
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 11:05 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Try Meetup.com
    maybe you can find a book club, or a play date group, or a parents group and find people there. worth a try. That way you know how to make friends no matter where you move.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Im sorry you are going through this as well...this has been a problem for me for nearly 5 years now...which is why im starting to think its a more serious problem. :(
    anikahaynes1

Comment by anikahaynes1 (original poster) at 11:03 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Im not stressed, at least I dont feel stressed. I do think I use food as a substitue for friends b/c I have had a very EXTREAMLY hard time making friends whenever we move, Ive basically been alone for the last 5 years. Yeah my husband is around when he can be, but that doesn't take the place of a friend kwim? We have a treadmill you would think I would be on it every day, and yet even THAT is hard for me.

Ive been to counseling, i tried just going on my own about a year ago to work on MYSELF but the dumb guy heard marriage problems and made my husband start coming and nothing IN MYSELF ever got better. :(( ok i guess i am a bit stressed. I dont know.
    anikahaynes1

Comment by anikahaynes1 (original poster) at 11:07 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• DomoniqueWS I was part of a meetup group in our previous state and it was horrible and sooo clicky it was rediculous, i didnt fit in anywhere there. and sadly i feel that way where we live now b/c we live in a very rich city and we are considered low income here even though we make roughly 45000/year! so yeah if thats low income imagine how other moms judge me here! :( uhg! anyway sorry for that tangent. i hope it will be better when we move again in about 6 months.
    anikahaynes1

Comment by anikahaynes1 (original poster) at 11:14 PM on Sep. 14, 2010