Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Bi polar

I have known that I might be bi polar for a long time. Today I took a medical survey about my symptoms and it suggested that I have severe bi-polar behaviors. What should I do now? I don't have health insurance and am afriad to take any medicine.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Health

Answers (6)
  • you could try finding a counsleror who does a sliding scale payment plan. meaning you pay as much as you can afford, so obviously some people can pay more than others (hense sliding scale) and try some cognitive behavioural therapy, but I dont know how effective it can be with treating bi-polar.

    Answer by anikahaynes1 at 11:00 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

  • There are 2 types of bi-polar and I would be very aprehensive when it comes to taking a survey to find out.... If you have a local college near you they may have a graduate program that offers services for lower income people. Maybe then they can do an assesment on you and figure out exactly what's going on.

    I had it done thinking I was, and I found out I'm not. GL

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:01 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

  • Bipolar is actually much more rare than people think, and it is misdiagnosed frequently. It is great that you are concerned enough with your symptoms to want help. The first two answers had great suggestions - many therapists will use a sliding scale, and graduate programs are always in need of patients. At the very least, you should be able to find someone who accepts a sliding scale and can give you a consultation that will help you get a better understanding of your symptoms. There's a very good chance your symptoms may be indicative of something less serious than (and easier to treat than) bipolar. GL!!

    Answer by aliceryannesmom at 11:10 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

  • If your state has free health care then go apply. It takes a while to be on the correct dosage, but in the long run it will be worth it and your relationships will be so much healthier. My cousin has bi-polar and she will not accept her illness-she thinks everyone else is crazy, NOT her. It is very sad for her family that has to deal with er.
    I wish you the best of luck and hope you have a HAPPY life again!

    Answer by NicolesMommy at 12:50 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • You should see if you can get state aid for medical and see a psychiatrist. They can help you to put things into perspective. Sometimes meds really are the way to go.

    Answer by PhoenixFire at 2:09 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • You can't be diagnosed only based on a questionnaire. Because here is the thing, EVERYONE has bipolar symptoms at some degree or another. Everyone has ups and downs, feels highs and lows. Being diagnosed bipolar is just how those extremes effect your life and to what degree those extremes are. Which is why they tell you those questionnaires are not diagnostic tools. However, I'm not doubting your bipolar. Some people just know they are. I am. Your best option would be to research online if there are any state ran medical clinics in your area, or anything like that. Like here we have our local university that will see people regardless of insurance that sees people on a sliding scale fee. There are also medications such as Lithium that work well for bipolar disorder that are dirt cheap, like $4. Tell the physician that cost is an issue for the meds and they will likely try lithium since it is standard for bp treatment and cheap

    Answer by MissAlisabeth at 9:16 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.