Pagan/Wiccan Moms

What do you think of using the battery powered candles inside colored candle holders for the directionals? Or do you think to have an effective outcome one needs to use colored candles?

pnwmom

Asked by pnwmom at 3:14 AM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think its a big deal...but then again, I was a college student in a dorm--I had plenty of practice "being creative" (just think glow sticks, glade and glitter), depending on budget and dorm regulations. If someone is more traditional, or just not used to trying new things, I can see something like that bothering them, and ritual just not working...but if you don't think it would be a distraction, go for it.

Personally, I think that its probably more child-safe (and pyromaniac husband-safe, in my case) than using regular candles, if you are planning to do anything where kiddos are "helping"...
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 7:21 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Actually I was thinking of using one for my lattern that I light on my porch this yr, last yr the candle kept getting blown out...
    I agree with thalassa about it being more child safe... I personally probably would not use them for ritural or meditation... but I don't see anything wrong with using them, they are being sold at Pagan/Cult shops now...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:11 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• If the candle is just used as a symbol, then I think it would be okay. But as gmasboy said, not for ritual or meditation and definitely not for scrying because you need to actual flame for that. And there are some spells that require you to "let the candle burn down completely" or some spells where you need wax later in the spell so obviously these would be out. As for the directionals, I would think that would be fine...the candles are jsut being used to represent or synbolize the directionals, so it shouldn't matter what type or that they are electric.
    seakla

Answer by seakla at 9:49 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Hey thanks so much. My cat loves to get in the middle of my spells and I don't want to keep her out if she feels she needs to check out what I am doing. So far she hasn't been burned but you know how cats are...
    I will try using the flameless ones for the spells that don't require for the candle to burn down.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:52 AM on Oct. 17, 2008