What's a good way to calm yourself down if your nervous about labor?

MamiDaisy

Asked by MamiDaisy at 11:09 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Meditation and deep breathing. Visualization is also a nice tool to use. You visualize yourself some place calm and relaxing like the beach or the woods. Whatever suits you best. Classical music can help too.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 11:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Do some research on why and how your body does what it does during labor. I found it very reassuring to understand exactly what my body going through and how it was helping to bring my daughter into the world. It wasn't scary at all after that!
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 11:20 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• calm music, thinking about end result your precious baby, dim the lights to help create a calm setting.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:20 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I really believe the best defense against fear of childbirth is to educate yourself ALL about it! Read books, ask questions... understand just what's going to happen inside your body, just what the pain means.... Then in labor you'll know what's going on and it won't be scary.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:21 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Breathing and remaining calm. Visualize it going well. When you tense up and have anxiety you body reacts in a negative way, so remain calm and breathe. Relaxing calm music will help as well.
    siimply_me

Answer by siimply_me at 11:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• take a birthing class!!! i woudl have died without my birthing class instruction. they taught us great breathing techniques and meditation. really, do it!!!!
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:16 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Education, confidence, support.

Do you have a doula, or want to get one?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:21 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Read up on different natural childbirth methods and practice using those calming techniques.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:55 AM on Sep. 15, 2010