How do I deal with this...

uuggh, stress is making me eat more. The coming election and all the pressure, the economy, the cold weather... I hate it all! I've even started not answering my phone and just straight out avoiding people cuz I'm sick of dealing with it all. How do I stop myself from gaining tons of weight? and to think, I haven't even gotten to the holidays and all that food! On top of it all I just had a baby... please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 AM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Health

• Discipline...Take it from there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:33 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Go for a walk with the baby. In the mall, down the road or with a friend.
    susan220

Answer by susan220 at 4:50 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Comfort eating is the bad guy. You're tired, you feel crappy, hey. Why not eat. Preggos do it like crazy, but unfortunately it doesn't make you feel better. Just full, tired and crappy. So you eat some more. It's distracting for a few minutes, but once you've stopped with the immediate gratification, then you feel worse than you felt before.

So stop putting people to the machine. Get out of the house for a few hours. Go do something even if you at first 'don't want to' because it will fill the time and get you away from the food.

When you've blown it and eaten something you shouldn't have, STOP. do not keep eating, don't throw away the whole day. It's not an on or off thing. It's easier to work off a slice of cake than three slices and a bowl of ice cream.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 7:48 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• You might have a little bit of depression from the hormone fluctuations, plus these are very stressful times, I think a lot of people are on edge about the state of this country. Try to get a break from the baby now and then, and if that does not help, see a doctor.
    LilDi

Answer by LilDi at 7:50 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Don't buy junk food at the grocery store. If it isn't there, you can't eat it. Start reading all ingredient labels. If you can't pronounce something, don't eat it. Eat fresh, whole ingredients. Stay away from premade, prepackaged foods, enriched flours (they either say enriched on the packaging, or you see the ingredient list as "flour" and then a whole bunch of other non-flour stuff), high fructose corn syrup, fructose, partially hydrogenated anything, white sugar, sodas (including diet sodas), chips, etc. These nasty ingredients hide in EVERYTHING. It is hard... but after a while and after some research, you can alter your cooking, buying, and eating habits to fit this regimine. We've done it quite successfully and still get all the good comfort foods that everyone wants.
    icook

Answer by icook at 10:53 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• First of all..I'm sorry you feel this way...I know how tough it is to have a newborn and feel all bummed out. You should go for a walk even if its just for 20 minutes..and just like ICOOK posted..try eliminating all junk food from your home, and try eating healthier little by little. I know its tough. I too, eat when I'm stressed. Good luck and hang in there...ONE DAY AT A TIME : )
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I have to physically and consiously stay out of the kitchen. It's the only way I won't graze my way through it. If you can get out and walk, that's one of the best stress relievers and weight loss tools there is. Good luck!
    randi159

Answer by randi159 at 7:05 PM on Oct. 17, 2008