voting?

do you think that people should have to know the amendments to the constitution to be eligible to vote?
i ask because so many people do not know the constitution, yet are voting on who gets to uphold it.

hiddenpoet

Asked by hiddenpoet at 2:52 PM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Though one should know the Constitution and Amendments, I don't think they should be denied the right to vote if a person doesn't know it.

To deny the right to vote is unconstitutional.
    Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 3:14 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I agree with the above. If that were a good enough reason to Deny someone the right to vote, how about Deny them because the cant read English? or because they ain't tall enough, or have brown eyes. Sadly ALLOT of people don't even know the Amendments to the constitution much less the constitution itself.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• it's not that they'd be denied forever and ever, they would simply have to learn the amendments before they could register to vote. like how you cannot vote unless you are registered.
    i think if a person is going to help make a decision that affects everyone in this country, then it should be an informed decision.
    hiddenpoet

Answer by hiddenpoet at 4:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• It would still be unconstitutional. I know that because I know the amendments, I know the Constitution.
    I'm dead set against anything that infringes upon constitutional rights. Anything.
    I agree that everyone who votes should know what I know, but they have the right not to.
    Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 4:56 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• You do NOT have to know the constitution to KNOW the issues in any particular vote. The Supreme court is the only court that I know of that makes any decisions at all regarding our constitution. The Supreme Court decides changes and ammendments to it. Not you and me.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• nothing will change my mind that it would be a positive thing. almost every issue is related in a large way to our constitution, even though people are voting on topics rather than issues.
    and i didn't ask about the supreme court, or what you are dead set against - i simply asked if YOU think that it is a good IDEA. yes or no. i am getting some very mixed responses.
    hiddenpoet

Answer by hiddenpoet at 12:57 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• i thought that was why i had to take civics in high school?
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:37 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• When I said I'm dead set against anything unconstitutional, I thought I was clear that, no, I don't think it's a good idea.
    I'm not saying that you're silly for thinking that way, I'm just saying I don't agree with your idea, and why.

Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 2:13 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• No they shouldn't have to know the constitution. It would be nice though if they at least had to know where each one stands on key issues.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 3:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Bravo!
    Readywriter

Answer by Readywriter at 12:53 PM on Jul. 19, 2008