My 22 month old has terrible ones i call it lol and she just is so stuborn i have to constantly yell at her and she still doesnt listen to me half the time what other ways can i try to get her to listen to me without having to yell at her all the time?

when she gets mad she hits anything around her or throws whatever is near her n all i can do is tell her no thats not nice or yell at her but she still does it i mean i even tap her hand n it doesnt work. I need some good advice shes been like this since we moved away from her father 2 months ago.

ayjahsmami

Asked by ayjahsmami at 11:38 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do the exact opposite. Speak calmly, slowly and softly. She will have to stop in order to hear you. EYE CONTACT is also really important
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:39 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yelling is never a good option. The louder you talk, the more the kid learns to ignore, especially if there's not consequences. She needs to you be calm and serious and have FOLLOWUP! I believe in spanking, but if you don't believe in spanking, you need to come up with other consequences, like taking away toys or restricting her to an area where she can't damage things. I'm sure some other moms can give you more ideas, too.

CONSEQUENCES!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:42 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• thanks i will try both maybe i do need to relax a liil more with her and a spanking threat sounds like it might not be that bad but ill try the calm voice and time out first
    ayjahsmami

Comment by ayjahsmami (original poster) at 11:48 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Put her in time out. Set up a certain chair or space that is specifically timeout. Make her sit in timeout. Explain to her, in a calm voice, what she did to be put in timeout, and why it is wrong. If she gets up, put her back in timeout. Don't yell. Just make her sit. Since she is two, then two minutes should be long enough. When our son was a toddler and we put him in timeout we made sure to explain that he only had to sit in timeout long enough to stop whining or pouting. When it looked like he had sat still, the fit throwing was over and his pouting was at a minimum, we'd let him get up.
    Good luck!
    zava_t

Answer by zava_t at 11:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I'm sure you already know it, but your yelling probably leads to her screaming more than she might if you didn't yell... But trust me, I am saying that some times yelling doesn't happen.... I am guilty of it, so when I feel my patience almost ending, I walk away and tell my DD to go sit on her bed until I come back into the room.
    AdoptingMyChild

Answer by AdoptingMyChild at 11:58 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My 15-month-old does the same thing. She's started this when she started daycare.
    I ignore her when she acting like that. I simply walk away or tell her when she is finished throwing a fit we can talk. The only time I ever tap her hand or punish her is if she is physically hurting herself or me or someone else. Then she gets her hand tapped and put in a place where she is safe from hurting herself or someone else.
    Be consistent with whatever you decide to do. She can feel when you are getting stressed out and will feed off of that. Stay as calm as possible and don't let her know it bother's you.
    Good Luck.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 12:03 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• she's old enough for time outs.....maybe you can have a scheduled time when she can call and talk to her dad or something, like Skype
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:03 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Yelling never works, it just makes them more cranky. With my son he gets a warning... I go to him and get gown at his level and look him in the eye and tell him he needs to stop or he'll have a time out. If he continues he goes to time out. His tantrum is usually over then in a couple of minutes. He has a 4 minute timeout... 2 minutes it takes to calm down and 2 minutes he has to regroup so he's ready to come back and play. If he happens to still be carrying on, time out isn't finished.
    You need to remember to follow though... no giving multiple warnings. 1 warning then consequence.
    We also use spanking sometimes for severe misbehavior (such as doing something dangerous or hurting someone else) he gets a swat on his butt and then time out too. He knows that spankings are serious buisness.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:25 AM on Sep. 15, 2010