Mystery of Miracle?

How does a person know that there is God? Didn't life start by science, evolution,geography, mother nature, etc. ? This subject really puzzles me. I don't know if I do believe or don't believe in God even by reading the Holy Bible. Some things seem very realistic, other things seem very far-fetch. I was told the holy bible is a folklore tale.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that a belief in God is relative to one's beliefs in general. For some people it is hard to believe in something that isn't tangible. For some it is hard to believe because of the suffering in the world. As a Christian, I am sure some of my fellow Christian brethren would disagree, but I believe that God is a spiritual journey of asking questions, finding what you believe, following that path. God is a journey. I don't think we get "points off" for asking questions or not believing the Bible. Otherwise, why would God be so faith-based? I don't think it matters if you are Christian, Muslim, Jewish, or even Pagan. I think it's about finding what you believe and living up to your potential.
    zava_t

Answer by zava_t at 12:10 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• God is a theory, which has yet to be proven or disproven.

I personally dont' believe in God.

You have to take the bible with a grain of salt. Much of the old testement was passed down via word of mouth. If you read history you'll find similar stories from different cultures and religions.. but much of it was exaggerated. (Sort of like if you've ever played the game telephone).
    The rest, you can again look at how tales were accounted for back then, a lot of superstition and exaggerations.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:13 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Oh, honey, this is a very complicated topic, and to really go into it could take days, lol. There are so many different beliefs and explanations from all viewpoints that it's pretty much for each person to interpret it as they will. There are actually valid scientific arguments FOR Intelligent Design, though a lot of people aren't aware of that. That's a good and interesting thing to research. I find a lot of conflicting things in the Bible, and that's one reason that I don't personally find all of it to be true or believable. A lot of people believe the Bible to be a folkloric take, but a lot also believe it to be the word of God. I think that some of the Bible is very valid, some of it...not so much. It's not all or nothing. You can still believe in God and not believe in the Bible or Christianity. I recommend doing any research you can on religion and finding what you feel at peace with. Best of luck! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:15 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• If there is no God then what is the power that is holding the universe,that doesn't let sun complete its revolution in more or less time than the 24 hours.What is that power which decides when an individual has to die.There are many phenomena that have remained unexplained by science like time,death etc which clearly show that there is something that keeps the world get going
    A11

Answer by A11 at 4:17 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• A11... people die because they AGE or from diseases, accidents and so on- no mystery THERE. As for the universe, science is still exploring that and coming up with answers all the time- so, some mystery remains FOR NOW. Technology and science progress daily and we cannot expect answers for everything like that *snap*. Religious people seem to need answers right this second and what better way to explain what they don't understand than to stamp it with a God label and be done with it? I sometimes wonder if they ignore when science answers something they attributed to God because they are too arrogant and stubborn to admit when they are wrong...

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:25 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I honestly feel as though it comes down more to personal experience and a personal relationship/connection. The Bible isn't literal, isn't a true representation of history, IMO, but that's the point of Mythos - to reveal a greater truth that can't be confined to words or to a mere occurrence in history, as it is an ongoing occurrence.

Although I believe that some people believe and some people don't. I really believe that its not a matter of choosing to believe - its more a predestined path. I believe we all have our own paths to walk, so those other paths (belief, for example, for a non believer) don't make quite as much sense or don't fit as well as the path we're meant to walk. We are a product of our environment, of so many factors outside of our control, and there are enough paths for everyone to find what works best for them, given their personal understanding/mentality/etc. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:03 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I look at the bible as a book of Judaic folklore and mythology. There are so many errors in the creation myth and throughout the bible that you can't really take it to be serious science or history. I look at the world and the mess it's in and I just can't believe that there is an actual deity out there controlling things. That's why I'm an atheist. I have practiced witchcraft for going on 14 years and I have sensed a sea of white light, universal energy, a force. It is all the elements of darkness and light and it is our choice as to what part of it we access to create our lives. Hitler, Jeffrey Dahmer, David Koresh, John Wayne Gacy and many others chose the darkness for their lives. We can choose the light and the good. Author Rosemary Altea says that we own the power. The power to heal and help ourselves. That's what I believe. And, that's why I'm a witch.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:12 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Honestly no body can say with 100% accuracy what causes a miracle.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:31 PM on Sep. 15, 2010