Am I making something out of nothing?

My son loves to color and draw. But lately he just draws circles over and over and over. The whole page will be covered. And he's really intense about it. And lately he cries in his sleep. I just think he's upset about something but he can't tell me because he doesn't talk very much. He's 2.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I understand why you're concerned, but I think it's normal at this age. My DD started crying in her sleep when she was 2, and still does on rare occasion. She was also TERRIFYINGLY intense about her coloring, and preferred to use a black crayon viciously on the faces of princesses in her coloring book! It was awful and freaked me out. Then she just kind of grew out of it, once she learned how to express herself better. (Now she draws and colors beautiful, thoughtful pictures!) I think at 2 it's normal to feel frustrated and hormonal, and they just don't understand how to communicate a lot of it. :(
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 12:22 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Hello! you say that he is intense when he drawls, does he get upset if you try and re direct him? does he zone out while doing this? sounds to me if he an sit there and do that for long periods of time and at the age of 2 he is doing well, because normally at that age their attention span is shorter, as far as Circles, sounds really good for a 2 year old, so I wouldnt worry about that, and the crying at night could be growing pains, try some tylenol or something before bed, I know my grand baby and my own kids started doing that and they were growing, which can be very painful...hope this helps!
    kids_r_gr8

Answer by kids_r_gr8 at 12:29 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Yes, it sounds like what he is doing is nothing to be concerned about. Very much like my two year old and as far as waking up crying it seems to be a stage that they go through at that age. I would not worry at all.

Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:34 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Coloring and drawing has held his attention since he was like 18 months. And the circles are a more recent thing. If you try to get him to do something else he'll just do it for a minute then go back to the circles.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:36 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Thanks! I feel better knowing he's not the only kid doing this!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:37 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Could he be getting his 2 year old molars? Or even just growing pains? Also, my son is 2 and only draws circles as well. Mainly because thats the only shape he knows. :) One thing I have noticed with him lately though is he has really started to practice. Everything....even playing alone he will repeat semi-new words over and over until he feels that it sounded right. Perhaps your son is just working on "mastering" the shape?
    I think even when 2 year olds get "upset" about something, they rarely hold a grudge that long. I could see those being signs that he is mad if he did them one day but over a few days or more is probably pain/just toddler related.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:43 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I dont think its anything to worry about my son is now 3 and when he was about two years old he started crying in his sleep. Im pretty sure that he was actually having nightmares. I have talked to a lot of other parents I know and they all say the same thing. I wouldnt worry about it. as far as the coloring, At that age they will start something and then pretty much be obsessed with it. My son just started watching winnie the pooh movies and now he wont stop its all I can do to get him to do something else. its just normal toddler behavior... dont worry
    Mikhaila H.

Answer by Mikhaila H. at 1:41 AM on Sep. 15, 2010