what can i do to get my kids to stay awake so that they are not awake at 2-3am?

dawley_2007

Asked by dawley_2007 at 6:25 AM on Oct. 17, 2008 in General Parenting

• I know when my son went through a period of time were he was taking a nap at 4 pm and sleeping until 6pm. Then he would be up until 10 or 11 pm, which meant I was up intil after 1:00 am because I only get time to myself after the kids go to bed. I would wake him up from his naps hoping he would go to bed earlier. That never happened and I finally asked the DR.

She told me let him take his nap and go to bed later. She said he would work it out on his own. For a couple of months that is what we did. If he took a nap he went to bed later, if he didn't he went to bed on time. He did correct his sleeping and we have not had a problem since.

Not sure if this helps, Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:25 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• i guess it depends on the age. around 4 months i stopped getting up to feed my baby when she would fuss, after a few minutes she went back to sleep. i did this for 3 days, on the 4th day, she didnt get up for her 3 am feeding. i had read somewhere that once they reach 11 or 12 pounds (i forget which one) they dont have the nutritional NEED to wake up and eat at night, they are just used to it because it is the routine. so if you break the routine, they forget about it.
    and it worked for us. malia is now 7.5 months old and sleeps through the night 90 percent of the time.
    mse04

Answer by mse04 at 9:08 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• oh and i also try to influence her naps as much as i can without actually waking her up from a sleep... i do what i can to make sure she gets her last nap in early enough that she will be ready to go to bed around 9, if she naps too late she isnt ready for bed until 11 and then she is fussy the next day because she will still wake up the same time even if she gets to bed late.
    mse04

Answer by mse04 at 9:10 AM on Oct. 17, 2008