How early can u give a baby rice cereal to help them sleep through the night?

Mommy_Bear823

Asked by Mommy_Bear823 at 1:16 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i started giving mine rice cereal at 2 months
    kaykaylane

Answer by kaykaylane at 1:42 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I personally dont agree with using rice cereal just to help a baby sleep through the night. A baby has a metabolism that requires he/she to eat often. Filling up their belly with rice cereal so they wont eat as often just doesnt seem right. Rice cereal has little to no nutrition and a baby should be getting both their calories and nutrients from breastmilk or formula. Introducing solids at a later age to get them used to the idea is one thing, but starting cereal early to get more zzzzzzzs at night just doesnt sit well with me. Not trying to call out parents and I am just sharing another side for you to consider. Waking up for feedings is just part of being a parent.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:22 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• When baby can sit up with little to no support. Rice cereal or any solids should never be used in a bottle, and using it with the attitude "to sleep threw the night" isbreaks my heart to see. Even though there is zero nutritional value to the rice cereal its a good stepping stone to introducing solids and the concept of using a spoon, and tongue and swallowing food.
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 1:25 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• They really recommend waiting till 6 months before introducing any cereals or other foods nowadays.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:18 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I believe...I don't know if it was to help me sleep....but my mom says that at 2wks old I was already drinking rice cereal or something like that.
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 1:18 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• as far as I know, when you can introduce solids. which for dd was at 6 months. rice cereal has 0 nutritional value, though, so it's basically pointless to give it to your baby. sadly, I didn't learn that until she was older (though I never gave it to her at night, she was bf) but at least I know not to make the same mistake.
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 1:19 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Rice cereal has really no nutritional value. I never fed it to my daughter. We started her on veggies at 5 months though, as soon as she was sitting up pedi cleared her for that.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 1:22 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• 6 months
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 1:31 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I meant to help the baby sleep better through the night.. not me i am a very light sleeper...
    Mommy_Bear823

Comment by Mommy_Bear823 (original poster) at 1:32 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i started rice cereal at about 5 months. i would feed her the cereal once a day at first. i would feed her a table spoon or two then nurse her until she was full. she slept a lot better.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:36 AM on Sep. 15, 2010