Why is there a Bible in every Hotel in the US?

Just curiuos.

Vacia

Asked by Vacia at 8:05 AM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because more people need exposure to God....
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 8:06 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Historically it is a tradition that comes from The Gideons
    The Gideons formed in 1899 in Janesville, Wisconsin, are the oldest Christian business and professional men's association in the United States with 130,000 members located in more than 170 countries.
    In earlier days the Gideons consisted mostly of traveling salesmen that wanted to be effective witnesses while on the road. It began by leaving a single Bible at the reception desk, and grew to leaving one in every room. Since then the Gideon organization provides more than 45 MIllion Bible to hotels, prisons, etc annually.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:16 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Kristi... thank you... I honestly did not know this... learned something new today...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:53 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Thank you too Kristi, for that info. Ah...Kimebs...that wan't the answer I was lookin for. I'm looking for answers, not opinions, but thanx for your opinion.
    Vacia

Answer by Vacia at 8:59 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Well Kristi just took the words out of my mouth. Thanks Kristi! =)
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 10:52 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• If you go to UT (at least where my husband stayed) there is also the book of Mormon in the hotel room.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:05 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Its not just in Utah. Its all Marriott hotels because the Marriott family is Mormon.

The Bible in the hotel room always annoyed me. And people try to say that we are not a Christian nation
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:02 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I heard it was because most suicidal people go to hotel rooms to commit suicide... and Bibles make people feel guilty about committing suicide...
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 1:48 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Vacia, then what was yoru question? If you read Kristi's answer, it does answer your question: "Why is there a Bible in every hotel room in the US?" Because the Gideons consisted mostly of traveling salesmen that wanted to be effective witnesses while on the road and began by leaving a single Bible at the reception desk, and grew to leaving one in every room.

If that does not answer your question, maybe you need to repharse it, eh?

Thanks for the research Kristi.
    ashkyef3

Answer by ashkyef3 at 2:35 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• maybe cause some husband brought another women there and if he saw it he might just change his mind!...lol
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:57 PM on Oct. 17, 2008