For those of you who sew.......

Every year I have to hem my sons pants. It's those sport type pants with the elastic waist and it has two layers of material. I always have trouble with these, does anyone have any tips that will help hem them easier?

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 1:48 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I just realized what you said about the two layers of material!! Put the hem tape between the two layers. It comes in a roll, and is about 3/4 of an inch wide. once you iron the two layers together. (Use a pressing cloth if it's polyester so it doesn't burn.) Fold over and press the hem, then pin carefully, if the inner lining is polyester, you probably want to go ahead with a universal needle, maybe a size 12 or 14.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:36 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I have to hem my daughter's pants. Sometimes using a different type of needle in the machine helps for different types of fabric. I recently hemmed a few pairs by hand because I broke the only needle I had left while hemming jeans.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 2:18 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Yup. You need a special needle for Jeans.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 9:16 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Use a ball point needle if they are knits, and you might get some hem tape, and iron it into the hem before you stitch. That will help to keep the hem from stretching or puckering while you sew. Be careful not to pull or push on the fabric as you stitch, if it's knit, because it is really stretchy, and you might try a stretch stitch on your machine if you have one.

Good Luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:31 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• sorry don't hem pants they are a pain in the butt.
    LindaGig

Answer by LindaGig at 1:34 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I'd probably do each layer separately to make sure I didn't screw up and give my son parachute pants by accident, lol.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:14 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Use a small ZigZag stitch when you sew them.
    JessieAtHome

Answer by JessieAtHome at 10:06 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• the needle and thread may need to be changed
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 8:01 PM on Sep. 18, 2010