Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6 Bumps

Need answers fast, i left my husband can he take my child

I have finally left my dh after almost 6yrs he cant stop drinking and we grew apart fast, he wants a divorce so im giving it to him, i do not have a job but have been searching but went and got some help and i signed papers to get child support, he wants to see his son after 2 weeks of not even asking about him just cussing me out about his truck, but now hes wanting to see him so im going to let him im just worried that if i let him see him can he just take off with him and i cant do anything about it?? I want him to see his dad but i don't want to lose him, i live in Ohio! do i need to talk to a lawyer before i let him see him or what?? please any help i told DH i would have him there at 5:30 tomorrow!!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (13)
  • It's his child too so I don't think you can deny him of taking or seeing your boy. How about asking him if all three of you go out for dinner or doing something together. That would buy you some more time.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • I'm not sure what the laws are where you live, but I would definateley find out BEFORE you let him see your son. I could not imagine if i had to go through my husband taking my children under these circumstances. Its better to be safe, than to be sorry. Good luck.

    Answer by cdesersa at 1:53 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • You should start with a police report about verbal assult and have specific quotes, dates and am or pm. Call child services and ask for and emergency case worker because your now seperated and your alcholic husband wants to see the child, they will lead and support you. Retain your laywer 1st thing in the morning and file emergency paperwork for full physical custody. The hardest part about the divorce and child custody will be your lack of a job so get anything and have good child care while your at work. Visitation is one thing but with out a court order it will be hard to prove kidnapping.

    Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 1:54 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • Unless you have temporary custody established, I don't believe there is anything to prevent him from taking him, meaning law enforcement will not step in. If I were you, I would make the visit supervised - by you or someone you trust - and make it in a public place if you are really concerned about him taking off.

    Answer by ruthie11617 at 1:54 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • You better get your butt to a courthouse and file for temporary custody cause if you don't he can keep your son once he has him. Find out what the laws are where you are. My ex and I did the same song and dance because we were still married we had joint custody when he kept the kids I was entitled to jack. Protect yourself before you let your husband see him just in case.

    Answer by dragonlady44 at 1:55 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • You need to file for immediate custody ASAP. She who files first, gets custody. Then consult with a lawyer.

    Answer by PhoenixFire at 1:58 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • And good luck!

    Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 2:00 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • I agree with all of the others. Get something in writing from the courts, and then let him see his son. Without any paperwork filed he has just as much right to take off with him as you do without any repercussions. Good luck!

    Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 8:09 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • He can not take your children away unless you abuse your kids or you take care of them ...

    Answer by china682 at 8:39 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • china682 ~ he can kidnap them~ has nothing to do with papers..... contact attrny

    Answer by harris4 at 4:31 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.