Do you think , in order to be an ordained Bishop, should a person go to school for Theology.

The Pastor at my old church, said he didn't need to go to school to become an Elder or a Bishop. He basically just gave certain people in the church positions, aswell as himself. He use to e a cab driver and contruction worker, now he is a Bishop. He hasn't went to any schools or convention of study.

Vacia

Asked by Vacia at 8:12 AM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Personally, I think that any legitimate clergy member should have either a degree in theology, or an equivelent amount of training within their particular faith, and should have training in counseling as well.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think guy off the street becomes bishop in any legitimate denomination of Christianity that I know of...
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 8:51 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Any one can ordained online these days. In fact, I am ordained but I do not use it. I did it out of curiosity.

I think a church leader such as a Pastor should have some kind of education. Without the education in my opinion it would seem that alot of what that person said might be opinion based rather than factual based.

As for Elders, Deacons or Deaconess those are positions in my church that are chosen for memebers of the church that have shown a commitment to the church and for those that do their best to follow the word.  Elders do have to take classes with our pastor.

tinkerbell76

Answer by tinkerbell76 at 8:57 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I agree and understand ladies, thanx!!
    Vacia

Answer by Vacia at 9:03 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I agree. I think pastors or bishops should have some type of formal education.
    ashkyef3

Answer by ashkyef3 at 2:30 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• in our church we have leaders that pray and get revelation on who should be the bishop of a ward. also other members who are worthy to hold positions. there are requirements and everyone of us has talents that the lord gives us to better serve others in our church. some are teachers, some are healers and others have the ability to learn new languages so that they can be good missionaries. all the members of the church are asked when our bishop or someone in our church has been asked to serve the lord and if we don't agree or all don't raise our hands in confirmation then he or she would not be allowed to until the issue is resolved. although this has never happened. we don't question who the lord picks to hold as the bishop or what not. i have been asked to serve as primary teacher, achievement day leader and primary secretary.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:54 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• part 2
    i don't think they need to go to school to serve the lord and know how to be leader cause of the faith i have in the lord. everyone of my bishops i have always felt the spirit with and i sustained everyone in their position. their life or past experiences and having been faithful is their formal education.
    melody77

• My dad was a pastor for many years... over 30 years. He had no formal theolgical training other than the bible and the teaching of his pastor and seeking God in prayer. I have relatives and have sat under pastors that have no training. I have also been in churches with pastors with training and degrees etc..
    Do I think bishops elders etc need formal training... no they all need one thing to be led by God's Holy Spirit and to rightly divide the word of God.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 3:23 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I certainly don't think you have to go to Seminary to be an elder or deacon in the church. There's no reason. I think it helps for the pastoral position but again, it is not a requirement in my book.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 5:10 PM on Oct. 17, 2008