Toddler Foods

Hey Mommas,

My first baby turning one in a little over a month and I'm trying to get a head start on putting together my Toddler Recipe Book (I have a Infant one I started to keep track of all the foods he could eat, recipes from online, feeding schedules when he was itty bitty,etc)

So what kinds of Breakfast, lunch and dinner foods do you feed your little blessings?? What about Snacks?? What does a Toddlers feeding schedule, if they even have any, look like??

Thanks for your help:) I got my Microsoft Word open for ideas:)

~Nikki

Masonyastesmom

Asked by Masonyastesmom at 9:19 AM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Toddlers eat just as much as babies. 3 meals a day and 2-3 snacks a day. You should be able to find a plan for daily requirements online. Good Luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• At 1 my kids ate whatever we were eating, within reason (nothing super spicy, no steaks or other hard to chew foods). Actually my youngest started self feeding at 8 1/2 months and never ate baby food after that. She ate whatever we were having. She's 2 1/2 now and has no restrictions; she loves food, even spicy tacos and steak (cut into tiny pieces). She especially loves veggies of any kind and has since she was a baby.
    As for a schedule...mine just eats whenever I do. Breakfast in the morning before we take her siblings to school, snack at 9am, lunch at 11am, snack when the kids get home at 2:30 and dinner at 5.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:38 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I agree with the above answer. At 1 year old both of my kids were on regular food. I refused then and I refuse now to cook something different for my kids. Because of this they are not picky eaters and eat just about everything (my oldest doesn't like salad, except Caesar salad... go figure, and my youngest doesn't like whole zucchini. She eats it when it is cut up in something though). The only differences for my youngest now is that when we eat soup, she gets more "stuff" and less broth, and when we have tacos, I make her a taco bowl composed of everything that would go inside the taco all mixed up so she can eat it with a spoon. No shell. This just keeps the messes to a minimum.
    icook

Answer by icook at 10:42 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• mine loves oatmeal with the flavors like apple and maple and brown sugar and a banana for breakfast. for lunch usally a samich and chips or chex mix and she loves tuna fish. for snacks we do the puffs or yobaby yogert. for dinner she eats what we eat as long as its not to spicy or anything. she is a grat eater. she will eat nethhng especially fish
    tashangel31

Answer by tashangel31 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Toddlers are on the same schedule as infants. Or at least my 17 month old is. They need about 1,000 calories a day so if they meet that then you should be fine... I'm going to give you a recipe for Baby cereal pancakes... I'm sure you still have some infant cereal left over and if not, I'd buy a box. These are so good and my daughter devours them!

1 Cup Whole Wheat flour
    1 Cup baby Oatmeal OR 1/2 cup oatmeal 1/2 cup another cereal
    1 Cup Formula OR Milk
    1/2 Cup mashed fruit
    1 tbsp melted butter
    3 egg yolks
    1/2 cup apple juice

You can add flavorings like Vanilla, Cinnamon, or anything else of your choice!

Mix it all together and make them like you make regular pankcakes...

HeatherM0529

Answer by HeatherM0529 at 1:11 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I try and make them different each time, Like bananas in one batch, but then applesauce in another. My 17 month old devours these. They are her favorite food, We have them about twice a week.

Oh and the recipe makes about 8 pancakes, so refridgerate them and they're good for another couple days!! Good Luck, and I hope your LO enjoys them as much as my daughter does!
    HeatherM0529

• when in a bind make macn cheese or rice a roni (half of the spice packet) with lots of veggies
    superchar3

Answer by superchar3 at 9:33 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• John's schedule is usually as follows- (he's 15mos)
    first wake up- he has whole milk
    Breakfast- plain pancakes or french toast, or a banana and toast (he LOVES diced fruit)
    Snack- follows breakfast after about 2 and a half hours or so. it usually just consists of no salt pretzles and a small container of yogurt.
    Lunch follows two hours later. we'll have a sandwich (usually grilled cheese) and Gerber meat sticks.
    Dinner- comes about 3 hours or so later. He loves broccoli and pasta with sauce.
    Snack- about an hour before bed. usually crackers.

Whatever you choose to feed your child- don't limit him/her! Even though I think something is gross...John may love it and we let him try everything! And don't freak out if your kid's first veggies are fries and don't freak out if you're feeding him boxed macaroni or pizza one night. it happens.
    john2007

Answer by john2007 at 5:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• my boys love spaggaitt o's...mac and cheese... otmeal... ego's...
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 2:22 PM on Oct. 19, 2008