piano

when is a good age to start piano lessons for a boy?

innulik2000

Asked by innulik2000 at 7:18 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Look at the child's personality. Does he enjoy sitting down and playing? How long is his attention span?
    I would start at 7 or 8
    bmwlover

Answer by bmwlover at 7:27 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• If your son is interested anytime around 6 yrs of age. But remember, if he isn't interested, forcing him to take lessons is wasting your child's time, the teacher's time, and your money.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:38 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• When they can understand how to play and to practice.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:42 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• When he is big enough to reach the keys and pedals at the same time. . . .
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:14 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My piano teacher would not take students before second grade. However, I now see some that will take students as young as 3. I think it would depend on his personality, but I would say at least 6 or 7. When I took lessons, I was expected to practice for 30 minutes every day; does he have that kind of discipline?
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:32 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I have talked to people who give lessons (about 8 or so) and the ones I have talked to don't want to do it until the child is 8 -10 most wanted a 9 or 10 y.o.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 1:05 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I think 6 or 7, or when they start to show interest and more coordination.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:43 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I've been teaching for 30 years - 7 is usually a good age to start - but it depends on the individual child - I have actually taught 5 year olds with success and I have had 8 year olds who never advanced - just know that the practicing during the week is essential and have your child learn note reading from the start -not by ear and then note reading - this usually just means more money out of mom and dad's pockets! Good luck!
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 6:45 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• thank you all!!!
    innulik2000

Comment by innulik2000 (original poster) at 2:51 AM on Sep. 16, 2010