when do you start to worry about something that has bit you?

i had a bug bite me 2 days ago...i didnt know what bit me but i felt it bite me and it started stinging and itching right away..it swelled up a little too. A day after it is still itching like crazy and it formed a small head so i was able to squeeze some puss out of it and clean it. Today..it still itches..it looks the same in swelling..it even hurts a bit when i put press on it. should i be worried or when should i start to worry? what are signs to look for?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 7:47 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Health

• if you dont know what bit you, its best to worry at that time
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 7:53 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My feeling is that if a bug bite isn't much better the next day, you get it checked out.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:56 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Is it red around the bite? I would really call your Doctors office and explain to them what is going on with this bite and they may have you come it so they can take a look at it.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:04 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I'd call you dr if cortisone cream (topical) and/or Benedryl doesnt start getting you some relief. That's a long time for a sting or bite to still be swollen.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:11 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Sounds like you might have a couple of issues: one is how your reacting to whatever bit you. Since you're clearly not in respitory distress, benedryl or a topical anti-itch cream should help relieve those symptoms. The second is infection, and if you are able to squeeze puss out of the bite area, that could be an indication of infection (especially if you continue to squeeze and poke at it - you'll be introducing new germs from under your fingernails every time). The infection can be much more serious and benedryl won't help it. From the sound of it, I would go see a doctor - it may be that you need a little anti-biotic.

Also, I don't know what area of the country you are from, but the bite of a brown recluse spider can be very serious and doesn't have the same allergic response of other bites. If you have them around, you should go to the doc.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:27 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• donna..we do have recluse but when i was bit..it was in my drive way in the middle of the day..i researched and read that widows and recluse are night creacher and tend to only bite if you disturb their nest...so i'm gonna rule those two out.
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 8:30 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• you might been bitten by a spider you should get that check
    china682

Answer by china682 at 8:31 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I was bitten by a Brown Recluse spider during the day so you can't rule it out based on it being daytime lol. However I can tell you that the bite from a brown recluse will at first look like a very swollen mesquito bite, yet extremley painful. You can also experience flu like symptoms such as fever, sore muscles, and nausea. By the 2nd day you would know it was a brown recluse bite because necrosis of some degree would have begun. The bite sight would have began to turn black and the skin would slough off. TMI i'm sorry but it's true lol. The underlying muscle and tissue would be dying. So if that has not happened, rest assurred it isn't a recluse bite!! :)
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 9:06 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• you can draw putting a mixture of baking soda and water (make a thick paste) and spread it on the bite then make a warm compress and put it over the bite too... it should help draw out any venom that causes the itching.
    I'd recommend putting antibiotic ointment on it afterward because its easy for bites to get infected from scratching, etc...
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 1:02 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I used to get bit by these little spiders and I found a trick that works on other bug bites: boil some water and put It on a washcloth. Make sure it is as hot as you can stand it on your unaffected skin. Apply it to the bite...it's going to hurt like hell and feel like a bad burn but that is because of the venom in the bite. Do this for a few minutes, reapplying hot water to the cloth. The heat will kill the venom. It tales some fortitude. You really do want it to hurt...that means it's working. Good luck!
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 1:49 PM on Sep. 15, 2010