Potty training question

We have been working on potty training our son who will be 3 the end of this month. I'm not buying training training pants because they seem like a waist of money and are to much like a diaper. we have been having him wear his big boy undies and he only has 1 or 2 accidents a day. I was wondering if it would be better to buy those gerber peva waterproof pants or if it would be better to buy the gerber training undies?

malibu79

Asked by malibu79 at 8:03 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I never used anything but undies...and diapers for sleeping until he was ready. I would probably buy training undies...
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 8:10 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• When my son showed all the readiness signs, I went to normal underwear. No pull-ups, trainers, waterproof. Even at night. He was trained in 4 days. I took him every 15 minutes at first and when he had that down with no issues or accidents, I upped it to 30 minutes and so on until he was able to go on his own with no assistance from me.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:13 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• We just did undies as well - yes, it's a few days of nasty laundry, but the kid catches on so much more quickly. I would worry that the plastic pants might make him so uncomfortable (even when dry) that the notion of switching out of diapers will be less appealing to the kid. You want to make underwear something he wants to do! Anything that makes the underpants less comfortable won't be helping your goal. Good luck!!

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:16 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• IMO, stay with the underwear.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:18 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Underwear. We have the Gerber undies that are real thick in the middle and they reusuable than spending money on disposable ones.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:39 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• We did regular underwear during the day and the padded training underwear overnight for a short time.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:54 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• The plastic covers only let most of what isn't absorbed by training pants/regular pants make an even BIGGER mess. I used them and they leaked where they peed, all the way to the bathroom and then getting them off without making more of a mess was near impossible. So we did the trainer pants cause they were thicker than regular panties, and pull ups at night.
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 11:38 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Remember that you dont want to make them feel shamed or embaresed.
    Love them and respect them as who they are at the age they are at.
    Good Luck
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 2:23 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• We just used regular underpants.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 5:45 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I liked the Gerber training underpants. Even when they were fully trained and wearing their regular underpants with cartoon characters, they still liked wearing the training underpants. My son called them "the softies" and he liked the feel of them on his bum.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:23 PM on Sep. 18, 2010