what would you expect of a person in this situation?

I love my grandmother coming over here to my house but she lives with her brother who has a house full of fleas..roaches..etc.. Anytime i take her home she ask me to not be rude and to just come inside and say hello..so i do. Whenever i come home..i strip down at the door (all my clothes) toss them in the washer and go strait to the shower. Would i be being overly dramatic asking my grandma to do the same anytime she comes over to visit so she doesnt spread roaches and fleas in my home? She knows how bad it is over there...really i hate her even living there but she lives there to help them out. She usually comes over here and spends the night about twice a week...what do i do?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 8:04 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• Honestly...I would never let my grandma live like that. If she wants to live with him and help him out, then they should both find a new place. That is really sad...
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 8:06 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Can you invite g-ma & her bro over while you set off a bug-bomb or have an exterminator over to their place? The problem wont go away until the critters do.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:08 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• yeah I would talk with her Iam sure she'll understand where you are coming from...you never know when a stow-away decides to tag along (or a few). GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:08 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• This is what i would be doing also. I hate bugs of any kind. I think that this really needs to be address your grandmother maybe helping this brother of hers out but this is a health risk for your grandmother and you going in there. You really need to do something about your grandmother's living situation Get her out of there like today. If need be bring someone like the health department in. Momma this can be helped and you sound like you are the one that needs to do something about it. I am not by any means saying this is your fault cause it isn't AT ALL. But this can be changed and this is your grandmother so please do something before her health goes down the tubes. GL momma i hope it all works out for you and your grandmother.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:10 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I agree - I think the bigger issue is that she and your uncle are living in such horrible conditions rather than whether or not they're going to spread it to your place. Help them solve the problem and then you'll not have to worry.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:11 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• yes..i know its really sad. They choose to live that way though. They have about 15 cats they let in and out of their house..2 dogs..they are hoarders..and my aunt who stays there as well is mentally ill. My uncle is diabetic and cant do too much. My granny feels obligated to help them..because my great grandma passed away last year...my granny feels like she should help take care of her mentally ill sister because her brother cant do it all
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 8:11 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i dont think anyone will really understand here...yall probably don't know people like this
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 8:14 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• they don't live in a house..(they live in a trailor)..some of the wood in the floor is rotting out in certain areas...i can't just go let out a bug bomb..bugs would still get in..i'm sure roaches are traveling from the trailors next door..that are probably in worse condition than theres. I wish i could just call the health department...but really what would they do? They would just give them notices to fix everything or they would have to leave then everyone would be homeless and it would be all my fault. I don't have money to go around housing people and doing home fixtures
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 8:18 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• It really sounds like you need to get social services involved. This sounds like a bigger problem than you can handle on your own. In terms of grandma visiting - asking her to strip off her clothes does seem a bit invasive. Share with her that you are talking to social services about fixing the living situations and when that's taken care of, she'll be able to visit with you at your home. Be straight up and tell her that you aren't comfortable with her visiting because you are afraid she'll spread the infestation. It's a tough thing, but it's better that you deal with her honestly.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:18 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• ...my great grandmother got phemonia last year..caused by black mold
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 8:22 AM on Sep. 15, 2010