Did he just admitt that socialism doesn't work?

Fidel Castro: Former Cuban president says state-run model 'doesn't even work for us'

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 8:38 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I heard that. To bad Obama and his minions don't figure that one out.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:10 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I do not like how everyone lumps socialism together, as if there is only one way to do it.

I love it, right now I am loving it that I live in a country with socialized medicine and socialized education.  For some reason it works for this country.  Now it probably helps that the majority of the citizens here contribute to society, if you have a bunch of lazy asses then of course it won't work.  What we have here, will probably never work in the US.  So I will enjoy this here, as long as I can.

momentofpeace

Answer by momentofpeace at 9:38 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• No I'm pretty sure the lazy assed Americans would be the majority of the problem. If they won't work, then who will pay for the benefits??

That's a good question.  Right now it's the top 10% of wage earners.  I think that's why I am in favor of reducing our entitlement programs.  It breeds mediocrity.  JMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:57 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• The point is, I am not a selfish, self-centered person. I do care about the people who can not afford health-care. Does that make me a bad person because I think of others?

There aren't a lot of conservative ladies here that are against the health care reform bill passed by congress and signed by Obama that don't think that we needed some form of reform in the insurance / health care industry.  What I (and many others) don't believe is that it is necessary to dismantle the whole industry to serve a very small percentage of the population.  I believe in reform, just not this reform.  Does that make a person bad? 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:39 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• then what do you think they should have done to make sure everyone has health care?

This is where you lost me. I don't believe in forcing everyone to buy health insurance.  There are plenty of programs run by the states that will cover children.  Making those programs more available would be the issue, IMO.  I feel that reforms should have been done to make it more affordable, but with the choice to purchase it or not.  I don't feel that government should be responsible for something I see as a personal responsibility.  I doubt we will agree on that point, so there is no reason to go further in this discussion when it comes to our difference of opinion.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:44 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I said so everyone has health care, not health insurance.

Everyone can have healthcare. They have the money to keep up a car, cell phone, clothes, etc they have the money to go to the doctor, they just think they are ENTITLED to free healthcare.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:41 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• LOL tnmomofive...she is probably "somewhere in Europe" enjoying our military's protection!

I can't help but be a little suspicious of Castro, why the about face on so many issues? Whatever the reason, he is right.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:00 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Yes, I believe that's what he said. I think he was having a Biden moment.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:19 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

I love it, right now I am loving it that I live in a country with socialized medicine and socialized education. For some reason it works for this country. Now it probably helps that the majority of the citizens here contribute to society, if you have a bunch of lazy asses then of course it won't work. What we have here, will probably never work in the US. So I will enjoy this here, as long as I can.

Answer by momentofpeace 19 minutes ago
    *******************************************************
    Good reply,it bears repeating. Most of the Moms here don't even understand socialism and capitalism.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:00 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• yourspecialkid: LOL tnmomofive...she is probably "somewhere in Europe" enjoying our military's protection!

No, this country is smart not to have an American base anywhere.  These people would be laughing in your face if you said that to them.

Shall I show you a map of Europe?  Do you know how many countries are in Europe?  Do you know how many of them have US bases?

momentofpeace

Answer by momentofpeace at 10:06 AM on Sep. 15, 2010