Choking infant

I have a 2 month old that coughs and chokes often. The doc. has prescribed Zantac for acid relfex....and she choked on that while I was giving it to her bad yesterday. I had to turn her upside down and push on her diaphram (all instinct) until it came out. Now I am paranoid over every little spit-up and cough that it is going to happen again. I don't want to take her anywhere in the car....because her being strapped in, I feel like I can't get to her fast enough or I will wreck and kill us both trying. I just can't get the episode out of my head! Has anyone else had this problem with an infant???

siren77

Asked by siren77 at 8:42 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• YES!
    My first daughter did this ALL THE TIME! And she was my first child so all I knew what motherly instinct to help her! The medicine tatses like crap first off and makes them gag a bit. Secondly you did PERFECT! And if anything else ever comes up you will continue to do perfect. :)

Mine DID choke in the car once and I slammed on my brakes, threw on my hazard lights, jumped out and had her out of the carseat and was performing the himleck (spelling? and is that what you call it?) in the blink of an eye.
    I really don't have much advice other than stay strong and keep doing what your doing. :)

Give the baby small amounts of everything so there isn't so much going down at once and watch her closely. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 8:56 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I STILL don't know how I moved so fast that day, lol.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 8:57 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Many babies with reflux cough and choke often, it's no reason to panic. If they are coughing they are still breathing... they will work it up. Just sit her upright and slightly forward and let her cough... don't slap her back or anything. Sometimes they cough so hard they throw up...
    With her medicine, make sure you are squirting it in the back of her throat. Squirt small amounts into the side of her cheeks. Blow a puff of air in her face to cause her to swallow.
    For her reflux, feed small frequent feedings, burp often, and keep her upright after feedings for at least 30 mins. She should sleep at an incline. Avoid travel for 30 mins after feedings.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:12 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I totally had the same exact thing! My LO would gag and choke all the time, sometimes even making himself vomit. He's almost 4 m/o now and doesn't do it any more! My ped said it has to do with their immature bodies and they usually grow out of it, which mine did! As for riding in the car, I got a mirror from Babies R us and it really helped being able to see him while driving! Good luck!
    mommy2mason529

Answer by mommy2mason529 at 11:17 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Is she on formula or brest milk? Talk to her dr about possible sensitivty or allergies, my DD had to use a certain formula... expensive/ enfimil/ purple can... i can't remember what it is called, or soy formula. She is fine with regular milk now but that could be part of it.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 1:27 PM on Sep. 15, 2010