How do people choose the best answer to their question?

I noticed one person is always close to the top with best answers, but her answers are just links to websites. Does that really count as "her" answer and is it really the best? If so, why don't we just google.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Just for Fun

• For me, it depends on the question I asked.

For example, I recently asked a question about how I could help my daughter with a potty issue. I picked the answer that addressed my question, gave me an idea to try, and made it clear that the person had actually read my question and thought about my problem.

If I ask a "what do you think" type of question, I will usually pick the answer that shows me a different point of view, something I didn't think of myself. Picking the answer that agrees with my point of view is silly... why ask the question in that case?

As for the mom who provides links to other info, sometimes people just want to know more about something and didn't think to google it themselves. I've seen this happen LOTS. They probably pick these as the best answer because the referenced website was very helpful... it is nice to be directed to good information without having to wade through the muck yourself.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• They choose the google answer because they must be looking for an actual "athority" of some type of answer. Some people prefer a medical site link type answer, rather than sage advice on what a stranger did in the same situation. The most Best answers thing is NOT a contest nor should it be viewed as such. And I agree. Why don't more people look up the google answer themselves? I don't mind doing it, but maybe everyone is not as adept at web searches. I'm HAPPY to give a google site answer. What I do or did with my kids is not always the correct answer for some other Mom.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• They get choosen by the people that ask the question. When you come back to look at my answer you will see right below it in blue "select as best answer". If you pick mine it will close the question and make it the best answer and it will also raise my TOP answerer score. That's how people are chosen and make the top answerers section.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 3:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Thank-you kaycee14. I DO try and find the relevant info they are looking for. sometimes I dont want to share my persoanal expierence for my own reasons. I find allot of people like the link answer better.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• at least that person takes the time to look up whatever problem is being asked and offers a solution to someone elses question.
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 10:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• For me, it depends on how well it answers the question and which answer was the most helpful.
    sunshinepraying

Answer by sunshinepraying at 7:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2008