Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How do you really now if your adult child needs inpatient psychiatric help?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

Answers (8)
  • Inpatient care can and will do only so much and alot of it borders on the willingness and phase of the child involved. I have been through alot with one of my children. We worked with in and out patient. Please feel free to message me and I will answer anything I can. Hugs !!

    Answer by LeJane at 9:11 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • Thank you LeJane. In a nutshell, my daughter is almot 25, graduated from college with a teaching degree and finally found a teaching job this year. She has always had low self esteem, and has had a couple of abusive boyfriends. She called off her wedding this past summer, two weeks ahead of the date (thank you Jesus). I know she drinks off and on and I'm afraid it's getting out of control. She has a strong faith in God, but just will not have any faith in herself and believe that she's a good person. She is under the care of a Psychiatrist and on anti-depressants, and also suffers from panic attacks. She seems to be stuck in this "playing the victim" role and I just don't know how much more I can do. She is so compassionate and caring and loves kids. I'm afraid things are spiraling out of control and she is going to lose her job and on and on and on............ Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated.

    Answer by mochamom60 at 9:25 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • If she's in the care of a psychiatrist, then they will know if best if she needs to be in a situation that's inpatient instead of just in therapy.

    I know she's your daughter and your worry, but she's got to be the one to step up and ask for help beyond what she's getting now. Just be there to support her, but don't push her.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:41 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • I think they will only do inpatient if she is a danger to herself or someone else. I've been in her shoes before and know it's hard to get loose from what she is experiencing. It took having a baby for me to change. No time to play victim anymore, now its time to play mommy.

    Answer by FroggyFeet at 10:36 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • Inpatient care is determined if the patient is a threat to herself or others.
    As a parent, it is hard to watch our kids go through things, and we naturally want to help. Prayer, patience, and remaining consistent are important factors in helping your adult child.
    One thing you must remember is to encourage, and offer support. Our adult children will continue to look to us for some guidance, but they are adults, and some things have to be learned on their own.
    Regarding the abusive boyfriends, the best thing to do is remind her of how wonderful it is to be treated well. There are places you can go to and ask for help showing your daughter her self worth ( ). Keep the faith, and share some hope!

    Answer by 6girlsrock at 11:28 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

  • I would want my child to have what ever help he/she needed, I don't care where it is in or out patient.

    Answer by meandmyshadow at 4:04 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

  • You think all THAT is why she needs psychiatric help? Good grief, are you ever overreacting.

    Answer by Kassey713 at 9:35 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

  • Kassey 713 - You can keep your sarcastic comments to yourself please. You are not the least bit helpful, only hurtful........

    Answer by mochamom60 at 5:48 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.