Did you know that 40% of Americans...

Don't pay taxes?? Seriously 40% of people either do not pay taxes or get all of their tax payment back in their refund. And 5% of Americans pay 59.2% of the income tax in this country? 5% of Americans pay over half of the money earned in income taxes. (here is where I got this info from http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/228/)

So my additional question to this is, why are these same people who aren't paying federal income taxes concerned about taxes going down? They don't pay any in the first place. What difference does it make to them? Obama claims he is going to make taxes go down for these people, but how, they don't pay any? Is the government seriously going to start paying these individuals some sort of regular payment? Just giving away free money?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I wish I was part of that 40%!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Your taxes get taken out of your paycheck. If these people bring in a paycheck then they pay taxes. Simple as that. The amount taken from their paycheck will go down under Obama's plan if they are 95% of Americans.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• But Anon 1000am, what difference does it make if they get all of the money back? In essence they pay nothing! Will they get back more money than before? Or will they still break even?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Some people don't understand, the government doesn't have any money of it's own. All it has is the money it gets from the people in the way of taxes. No politician can go around giving away "the government's money" for long with out getting it from somewhere--namely us, the working, taxpaying public.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Anon1000: I don't think you "get it"... If Obama is President, he wants to give those 40% a check, even though they don't pay taxes... Do you seriously want that?

Who is paying for that? It may not be you and I today or next year, but eventually, YOU, ME, 65% of us ~ WILL Have to pay, eventually.

And no, people work "under the table"~don't pay taxes. And (as shocking as it sounds) there are even some who prefer welfare to working and having to "pay their dues" by starting from the bottom and working their way up.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:00 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I don't pay taxes 'yet' because I don't have a job. I'm looking for one though and I'm on the waiting list for a position so I'm soon to get one. Anyway, wouldn't you pay tax through everything. You do when you buy something at the store. Doesn't make sense.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:55 PM on Oct. 17, 2008