Are you kids into too much extracurriculars after school?

My oldest is in Band, Choir, Volleyball, and School newsletter. And my youngest is into Dance and Soccer. I like to keep my kids busy so they are not wasting time doing nothing. Especially since they don't have much phys ed in schools now. Thank goodness, we only have the 2 so I take one to her things and Husband takes the other and we switch off. Otherwise I don't know how parents do it!

Carol936

Asked by Carol936 at 8:58 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in

• Band, choir, & newspaper are all during school here. My son is in football and my daughter does tennis and Girl Scouts. I like them to have some unscheduled time.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 9:15 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I think its good to have kids in activities. Doesn't give them much time to get introuble with all the stuff going on nowadays. as long as they have time for family - friends & homework!!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:18 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Band is doing school here also, but lots of afterschool concerts, parades and whatnot, choir is her lunch, (since she has band) and Newsletter is before school at 7:15 to & 7:30. And I agree with sstepph is keeps them out of trouble. Volleyball and Soccer is only for a couple of months anyways. Until Spring....
    Carol936

Comment by Carol936 (original poster) at 9:26 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• polar opposite, unless you include going to the library all the time.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:30 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My son is not in any sports of after school things right now.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:14 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My older kids (middle schoolers) don't have any sports right now, except for what seems to be piles of homework. In October they will start playing basketball, which should make life completely hectic. My oldest also has weekly bar mitzvah lessons.

My youngest (kindergarten) just asked if he could do soccer and karate after school. Might just make life easier with basketball season. I'm on my own most days this time of year as DH easily works 4 - 12 hours days. I'm going to have to do a lot of running around.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:18 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My son is not involved in any after school activities. We give him the choice and we do alot of things as a family. But if he wants to he can --- but I told him that whatever he chooses cannot dominate all the time. There has to be equal time for all the family.
    emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 11:00 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My son is in 8th grade and participates in all band activities which is year round. He also plays rec soccer in the fall and spring and refs to each money. My daughter is in 6th grade and plays travel soccer year round and just made the MS team for the fall, so it will be hectic for the next 5 weeks doing both. She also plays travel basketball in the winter and is looking forward to doing track in the spring for MS. We have the time now for her to all of this, but when my son does marching band in HS next year, it will be too much even for a family with 2 children. It's good for the kids to be involved in sports/activities for their overall development, but there is such a thing as too much.
    Ineedmyfix

Answer by Ineedmyfix at 11:24 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I don't think so since we have plenty of time to relax and spend it together
    rylymama

Answer by rylymama at 11:25 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• No we havent started yet.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 11:49 AM on Sep. 15, 2010