Why is my front loaderstartingto make the clothes smell like they have been in the washer for a day or two?

When we firstgot the washer we used liquid but then switchedto powder but this happened...What could be causing this? my dh questioned this I told him Iwas not sure but I went ahead and switched to a liquid detergent and that seemed to help but now my dh says it smells "cheesy" (like too much like a laudrymat) I said you know what you do the laundry next time (ungrateful).
Should I call the service dept. We have a warranty but not sure if it's expired :/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Sometimes you can just clean it out....pour a cup of vinegar in it and run it through a cycle.

Or even a few dashes of baking soda to a load of towels.....

It just gets sort of musty down inside there sometimes :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:14 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Mine does the same thing. What you have to do is make sure to leave the door open when not in use and take a look at the seal in there. GA -ROOOOSS!!! I clean that thing about once a month with Tilex. It gets moldy in that seal and that is the only thing that will get rid of the mold AND the smell.
    jdlane1901

Answer by jdlane1901 at 9:20 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• And don't bother calling the service dept unless you want to pay $75 an hour for them to tell you the same thing. I made that mistake ONCE.
    jdlane1901

Answer by jdlane1901 at 9:21 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• yup it needs cleaned. Throw a cup of vinegar in there and run it through. Then leave the door open to let it air out. Sometimes closing it right away can cause that extra moisture to turn into mold down in the drum, letting it dry with the door open will help.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 9:24 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• You may need to clean the seals, too. I use a bleach/water combination to clean the seals and then run a cycle with bleach.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:26 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I leave my door open to let it air dry out since it does stay damp inside causing the future clothes you was stink.
    rylymama

Answer by rylymama at 9:45 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Check to make sure nothing's stuck in places where the water drains out. My parents' frontloader had similar problems: the clothes smelled funky and the water wouldn't drain. My dad, the resident handyman, opened a few panels and found that a few socks and other stuff had somehow gotten stuck in the drainoff pipe, or whatever it's called, and had started mildewing and clogging up the works. Now we check all pockets and put things like socks and panties in hose bags, and we've had no trouble since.
    Marikosan

Answer by Marikosan at 9:48 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Clean the gasket around the front. Then run an empty load with a few cups of bleach to clean and disinfect the tubes. Make sure you run a load that is bleach friendly after that load just to safe.
    pbilotti

Answer by pbilotti at 9:54 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• There is cleaner for front loaders. I wipe the seal in the door out after every use and I leave the door cracked in between loads. I run a cycle with vinegar once a month and it doesn't smell.
    tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 9:54 AM on Sep. 15, 2010