Septic System

I keep smelling a smell in our house. Im wondering if the septic needs cleaned out. It is in areas like bathroom and laundry room where there is water hook up. It honestly smells like a** sometimes. The area is clean and this is a new house. Someone told me septic systems "burp" and need cleaned out sometimes..anyone know anything about them???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Home & Garden

• if its a new house, is the septic system also new? if so, it shouldn't need cleaning out but about once every 5yrs, with regular use. you need to use a product like RidX monthly. have you checked the ground where the tank is located? is it wet and smelly, also?
    you need to have a plumber (who does septic work, not all do) come out and check things.
    you can also call the city (or whoever you water bill goes to) and inquire as to anything amiss with the water supply.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:24 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Yes, they have to be pumped out if they get full. In FL, I had just moved in my house and the day before Thanksgiving it started backing up into the drains. I had never had 1 before and didn't know they did that. It freaked me out! But Rotor rooter came out and pumped it. Now that I'm back home in KY we have 1 and it has never needed it and we've lived her 5 years.
    RosieCheeks64

Answer by RosieCheeks64 at 9:28 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Septic systems - If you have a 1500 gallon tank with a 4 member family about 4 yrs and is should be pumped. That same tank with one person - then 19 yrs. Save your money and don't put any additives in it!! If you add RidX - the established enzyme/bacteria have to compete with the new ones and they end up eating each other.

Use toilet paper that says SAFE for SEPTIC systems like Scott Paper. Don't use a disposal if you have one - they just add to the waste going to the tank (up to 50% more solid waste than if you don't use it).
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:58 PM on Sep. 15, 2010