there is a big hole in my molar and its starting to hurt, are they going to do a root canal?

im terrified of the dentist!!!!! i have an appt today for them to look at it and do x-rays but im so scared...have any of you had a root canal? did you feel any pain? im scared im gonna feel pain when the dentist uses the drill...how do they decide whether to do a root canal or not???

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 9:22 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Health

• Root canals and extractions CAN be an either/or thing. I mean, you can have an extraction to avoid a root canal.
    In a molar, root canals SUCK. There's 4 roots. In an incisor, bicuspid, etc where there's only one root, it sucks a little less, but still sucks.
    The big concern with an extraction is dry sockets. (Easily the worst pain I have ever experienced.) If you do have it extracted, FOLLOW the aftercare directions EXACTLY. No smoking, no drinking out of straws, nothing that will change the pressure inside your mouth and possibly pull out the clot.
    Go online and find the medicaid allowances for your state. Find out what is covered and what is not. If the rct is covered, and you can 'nut up' and do it, it's worth it. If not, just get it yanked. You can always consider having an implant later on. Word to the wise - if you get the rct, it kills the tooth.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 9:33 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• If it's a sharp, long lasting pain, the tooth is probably abcessed (infected). At that point, yes, it'll be a root canal. I don't know anything about that as the one I had that abcessed, I just had the dentist pull it. It was a whole lot less expensive ($100 to pull the tooth or $1200 for the root canal). I've had no problems since then, missing 1 molar is not that big a deal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• more than likely....
    DereksBabyMomma

Answer by DereksBabyMomma at 9:25 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• well i am on Medicaid so are they going to make me get it pulled instead of doing the work? if so, does it hurt really bad to get it pulled?
    mamagee1218

Comment by mamagee1218 (original poster) at 9:28 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• ask the dentist
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:29 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• It didn't hurt me at all to have it pulled. The dentist numbed me up really well. All I felt was the first stick of the needle and that was not even like getting pinched. Once I was numb, I felt pressure but not pain. Almost like someone was pushing on my gums, it didn't hurt at all. I hate dentists. I was terrified to have a tooth pulled after all the pain Ive had over the years from dentists. But having it pulled, nothing, hardly any pain at all. My dentist did a great job. And the little pain that comes after having it pulled can be relieved with ibuprofen and it isn't anywhere close to the pain of an abcessed tooth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Root canals are stupid---they do them and sometimes they still have to take the tooth, just get it pulled and save yourself the irratation of making two trips
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 9:33 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• cont.
    So while it's unlikely that you will experience problems with it in the future, the tooth will discolor and you may still have to have it removed, but we're talking 10 or more years from now.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 9:35 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Depends but they might be based on what you are dexcribing
    rylymama

Answer by rylymama at 9:37 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• thanks Jenny-talia!! so it sounds like youre saying that getting it pulled is easier than getting a root canal.....? its the fear of the drill hitting the root and causing that horrible sensitivity pain that im scared of so maybe extraction is my better choice.
    mamagee1218

Comment by mamagee1218 (original poster) at 9:39 AM on Sep. 15, 2010